Ziba's Master
by Tee Olat

The Nurse hastened in her flight from the palace, all she was concerned about was making sure she escaped with five year old Mephibosheth. She loved him like she would have loved any son she bore. News had come from Jezreel that Saul and Jonathan had been killed in battle. It happened as she made haste to flee, that he fell and became lame. The Nurse knew that she must leave at once with Jonathan's son- Mephibosheth lest he got killed. She took him to Ziba, who was Saul's chief servant and he promised her he would take care of him.
Mephibosheth grew up in Lo-Debar, his servant Ziba had raised him and taken good care of him. He was lame in both feet and had no had nothing to his name, except his little son- Mica. He lived in constant fear of the day king David will find out he was alive. He had learnt from Ziba how King Saul- Mephibosheth's grandfather had been a terrible king and had really terrorized David because he saw him as a contender for his throne, despite how loyal David had been to Saul. Amidst David's trials in the hands of Saul, Jonathan- Mephibosheth father had become covenant friends with David.
Eventually Saul and Jonathan had died in battle and David had been crowned king. His Nurse had fled with him at once and brought him to Ziba so that he would not be killed, he dint think he was any better off alive anyways, after all he was lame. He felt miserable and despaired of life; it was due to the kindness of Machir, the son of Ammiel that he was able to eat every day. He had no idea what would become of his life, he no land, no cattle, no gold, no silver, even Ziba his servant was better than him.
He was so deep in thought that he dint hear Ziba approach, until he tapped his shoulder.
"Master, are you thinking again?" Ziba asked," I have called your name now more than three times"
Mephibosheth couldn't help but be embarrassed because he knew Ziba knew what he had been thinking about." Yes Ziba, I was thinking!"
"I bring good news" Ziba said enthusiastically
"What news could you have that would be good?"
"I happened to be in the palace when King David asked if there was anyone left of King Saul's lineage that he may show the person kindness for Jonathan's sake" Ziba said
"So?" Mephibosheth asked warily.
"So, I told him there is- You and he asked to see you immediate
"No way" Mephibosheth dint let Ziba finish his sentence before he interrupted him. He was shaking physically, there was no way he was going to meet King David; it was a plot to kill him and completely wipe out Saul's lineage.
It took a very ling while for Ziba to convince him to go to the palace. Eventually Mephibosheth agreed to go although very much reluctantly.
He was quite surprised at David's warm reception, because he had half expected for his guards to haul him straight to the King's dungeon.
"Mephibosheth" David spoke his name
"Yes sir?" Mephibosheth answered
"Don't be frightened," said David. "I would like to do something special for you in memory of your father Jonathan. To begin with, I am returning too you all the properties of your grandfather Saul. Furthermore, from now on you will take all meals at my table"
Shuffling and stammering, not looking him in the eyes, Mephibosheth said" who am I that you pay attention to a stray dog like me?" He was surprised beyond words could express that David could do this great favour for him. And that was how he moved back to Jerusalem, his son, Ziba and his household along with him and he fed continually from the King's table.
You can contact me on [email protected]

I'm Tee Olat and I love to write as I am inspired. I take a verse of the scripture and write a story out of it as I have done above.

www.omotee.blogspot.com
This website and its content is copyright of [Tee Olat] -  [2012]. All rights reserved.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print