Suitable for Smithsonian
by PamFord Davis

I am not into gardening, am not at all compelled to dig in the dirt either in attempts to grow flower or vegetable gardens. I would say an accurate description of me would be a "house plant." Gardening should be in my DNA, as both my Mom and Dad spent many hours during the summer working in their gardens. I have vivid memories of Dad growing vegetable gardens. He had a small one in our side yard and shared a larger garden plot in the back yard of my aunt and uncle's home. I watched as he broke up the soil with either a hand held plow or using the convenience of a tractor. I hold "Kodak" moments of Mom upon her knees working in flowerbeds or her rock garden.

Gardening is hard work; yet, a delight to many. Both my husband and mother-in-law get a sparkle in their eye and lilt in their voices as they discuss their latest gardening projects. This year, clearing of farmland required a bush hog farming implement, which had sat idle for many years. They were not sure if it could handle the job but decided to give it a try. The bush hog, purchased long ago, seemed more suitable for the Smithsonian than the field. To our amazement, it did an outstanding job! My husband, proud to show off his work, drove us to the property. We could hardly believe our eyes! He's run the tractor disc attachment, will follow with the tiller. Wrapping up the preparation project, he will apply fertilizer, working it into the soil before planting seed.

After planting of the seed, they will make regular trips to the farmland, checking on growth and the condition of the plants. If insects appear, they will quickly apply reliable insecticides to ward off the pests. Throughout the entire growing season, they'll water, weed, watch and wait "Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain. You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand (James 5:7-8 NKJ)." Patience is a virtue and a character trait that does not come to me naturally. I am so grateful that God is patient with me as I grow in grace.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print