I'll Fly Away
by PamFord Davis

Less than an hour ago, I stood gazing through my kitchen window at two birds in our lawn. I'm accustomed to seeing the colorful creatures as they stop by on their way to other landing pads. I am not a birder, and only readily recognize robins, red birds and blue jays. Viewing a blue jay today, I paid little attention to my Creator's lawn ornaments, until the second bird caught my eye.

I am quite sure it was a redheaded woodpecker; I've only seen them at a distance, hard at work pecking into bark of trees. I raised my blind and left the kitchen to find my camera. Returning, I learned both birds had flown away in my absence. Though I was disappointed, I realized we could learn a thing or two from birds.

There are times when raging winds and storm clouds of adversity nearly propel us into space. Storms build upon the horizon, and foreboding clouds threaten to rain on our parade. We run for the nearest shelter. Discouragement beckons. What would really preserve life, at times like that, is to run to God.

David said, "If only I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and find rest. How far away I would flee; I would stay in the wilderness. I would hurry to my shelter from the raging wind and the storm (Psalm 55:6-8 HCS)."

One bird, not found among those on my lawn that day, is the dove. It symbolizes God's Holy Spirit. When we turn to the Holy Spirit, He gives us wings to rise above and soar over destructive storms. Like birds, we can fly away when there is trouble to a hiding place in God, where we can rest, as He returns our peace.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print