Pleasing, the Purpose
by PamFord Davis

Whom do you want to please? Is it a domineering spouse, critical employer or maybe your in-laws? The question never crossed Jesus' mind. His every thought, every action was in submission to the Father, to his glory and praise. "As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, 'This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased (Matthew 3:16-17 NIV)."

God the Father was and will ever be pleased with the Son. Do I make my daily purpose the pleasing of the Father? Malachi 1: 6-14 reminds me that I should seriously consider God's point of view. His people were going through the motions of worship; God was not impressed. "Oh, that one of you would shut the temple doors, so that you would not light useless fires on my altar! I am not pleased with you, says the Lord Almighty, and I will accept no offering from your hands (Malachi 1:10 NIV)."

The Lord said they might as well close the doors at the temple, their place of worship! His words of disappointment nearly make me cringe in contemplation: "I am not pleased with you." My sole purpose in life should be to please him, who sent his Son, the Lamb of God to free me from sin. Do I play church, go through the mechanics of religion and deceive myself into thinking what I do is pleasing to the Father? I told our children, "All I expect, is that you do your best." Why would I think I should do any less?

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print