Christian Relationship Help: What Does It Mean to Die To Yourself in Your Relationships?
by Karla Downing

This Christian relationship help will enable you to understand what it means to die to yourself in your relationships. Matthew 10:38-39 says, "Anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it" (NIV). This is the verse that is used to advocate dying to your "self" in your relationships. It is often inferred that it means you will always put others before yourself and be willing to lose yourself for other people; however, that is an inaccurate interpretation.

This verse does not mean that:

You cannot have a "self" or be the unique person God created you to be.
You can't say no to mistreatment.
You can't exert yourself in relationships.
You can't have an opinion about things.
You can't put yourself before other people or take care of yourself
This verse does mean that:

You die to your sin nature.
You suffer for the good of the gospel.
You make a stand for righteousness, even when it costs you.
You serve the Lord and become his disciple, willing to do his will above your own will.
You are willing to put others before you when it is appropriate.

"Dying to self" by losing your life has to do with your relationship with the Lord. He is first above all else and you are willing to do whatever you are called to do, even if it is to die for your faith. In your relationships, when you put the Lord first it means you will choose what is in the best interest of the relationship, yourself, and the other person. It isn't in the other person's best interest for you to allow them to misuse and abuse you. It is in the best interest of the relationship for you to bring your "self" into the relationship.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Next, if you need more practical tips and Biblical truths to help you change your relationships, get my FREE "15-Day Relationship Challenge" designed to give you back the power over your life.

Just click here: http://www.Free15dayChallenge.com

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print