I pommel my body
by Michael Hume

"I pommel my body and subdue it' lest after
preaching to to others I myself should be disqualified." 1 Corinthians 9:27

Like Paul I pommel my body and get it under control. So that I also can keep close to God. Satan tempts through the body. It may need strict self-discipline. The body is meant to submit to the mind and to God. If the body is tempting me to fleshly things, I have to subdue it.

I am doing it now through study and martial arts. Both these plus Bible reading and prayer. You can beat your own body to make it obey you like Paul did. Martial arts provides a strict element for self-control. For some reason other physical disciplines like swimming and walking have not brought the self control desired. So it's time to try something new. Martial arts has the extra feature of overcoming passivity, which is part of the problem. God wants me to have a clear conscience.

The flesh can be beaten into submission. Flesh can mean overeating, and other worldly temptations. I can help God by helping myself and not let the flesh get a foot in the door of my house.

"Sin is crouching at the door, it desires to have you, but you must master it." Genesis 4:7.

"Sin shall not be your master." Romans 6:14.

Whether it is sin of my own or temptation from others that is overpowering me, I must get it under control. By faith and pommeling the body. Tell the body that it has to submit to mind. Force it to obey you. Don't let it control you. Mind is more important than body.

Michael Hume. The Holy Spirit teaches you everything.  Copyright belongs to author.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print