Downcast Detour
by PamFord Davis

"Lethargy"lack of energy. "Discouragement"lack of lust for life. "Fear"lack of faith. We see the road signs alerting us to danger ahead. Detour! The narrow road is clearly in sight, and sojourners beckon us back within safe boundaries. God sees the downcast, is keenly aware of their dilemma. Elijah's lethargy, discouragement, and fears not only became detours from his mission. The trio served as a wake-up call. (1 Kings 19:4-14)

Elijah encountered Mighty God. The prophet, backed into a corner, cowered in fear. "I alone am left; and they seek to take my life (1 Kings 19:14b NKJ)." He had not outlived his usefulness. The arduous journey had merely sapped the man of natural strength and ambition. God still planned the itinerary. He instructed Elijah to start a return trip to Damascus, anoint kings, and meet his successor. God, knowing his weariness, had already appointed Elisha, as next in line to serve.

Those who serve the Lord do grow weary. Our loss of strength can result in kingdom gains. We must not become so discouraged, that we cease to see the urgency of outreach. "Then He said to his disciples, 'The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest (Matthew 9:37-38 NKJ)." I tire easily; I seek to trust Him fully. (Matthew 11:28-30) Christ is anxious to lighten my load.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print