Trusting God is a Matter of the Heart
by Gregory Winfield

We were born to trust and we do it all day every day without giving it a second thought. We eat at restaurants without seeing our food being prepared trusting that the food will nourish our bodies and not harm them. We take the advice of our doctors trusting that their recommendations will help and not harm us. We obligate ourselves to long term financial commitments trusting we will have the finances to complete the purchase at a later date. We step off the curb in front of 2 ton moving vehicles trusting that they will stop for us.

These are just a few examples of how we use trust in situations with people whom we don't even know on a daily basis to motivate successfully through life. No matter whom you are or what your background is, you cannot exist without trusting in something or someone.

There is something within children that compels them to trust their parents. As a parent who raised a child from birth, there probably has never been a time when you had to gain your child's trust. Your child was born trusting you as their protector, their provider and as their comforter.

In fact, we would call a relationship where a child didn't trust his parent "abnormal". The same would be true of a situation where a child had to work themselves into a place where they could fully trust their parents.

Trust is given completely and entirely, then diminished as those whom we place our trust in show us that they are unworthy of it.

So with that being said, why do we have such a hard time trusting God as our parent? He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also, along with Him graciously give us all things? Romans 8:32 NIV.

How would YOU feel as the parent if your child whom you loved with all of your heart...a child whom you've taken care of, nurtured and provided for didn't believe a word you said? If you knew that your child was fearful that you wouldn't provide for him or protect him, you might find yourself having a heart to heart with him and saying something like....I will not in any way fail you, nor give you up, nor leave you without support. I will not, I will not, I will not in any degree leave you helpless, nor forsake you, nor let you down (taken from Hebrews 13:5 AMP).

And to further comfort your child, you might find yourself saying to him or her, "Don't be afraid or discouraged. I will personally go ahead of you. I will be with you. I will neither fail nor abandon you". (taken from Deuteronomy 31:8 NIV)

How reassuring is that! Personally, my confidence level would go through the roof if my parent spoke to me using the verbiage illustrated in Hebrews 13:5 and Deuteronomy 31:8, but having the creator of the universe speak to me in this way should settle all doubts and fears.

The key to living a fearless life is keeping these words in front of our eyes and in the midst of our heart continuously. Your car can only run so far on 1 tank of fuel without you having to refuel it. Your spirit functions the same way. Keep the fuel tank of your heart topped off with the comforting, reassuring Word of God and you'll find that there won't be any room for mis-trusting your Heavenly Father, no matter what situation you find yourself in.

Greg's love of writing and the unique way God illustrates the truth of His Word through everyday life situations has given birth to the FaithsMessenger Blog (http://www.faithsmessenger.com). Our goal is to share biblical principles, stories and analogies in a clear, concise, and understandable way.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print