Bringing into Captivity Every Thought to the Obedience of Christ
by Gregory Winfield

Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:5 KJV

Did you know that you can control your thoughts? 2 Corinthians 10:5 says we can. Thoughts form our reality. Our thoughts make us who we are. Proverbs 23:7 says, "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he". It's our responsibility to guard our minds against negative thoughts because what we think about the most, we will eventually become. So exactly how do we cast down imaginations and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ?

We bring into captivity every thought by the words of our mouth. It's impossible to think a negative thought and speak a positive word at the same time. The negative thought will have to leave while the positive words are coming out of your mouth.

One of the problem areas for me when it comes to negative thoughts attacking my mind has to do with my car breaking down on the highway. When I began driving as a teen, I called for towing service so much that I knew all of the tow truck drivers on a first name basis. My car was constantly breaking down on me. I suppose those early experiences helped shape the "fear" I have today about breaking down in some desolate area of town. Now fast forward to 2009.....

In 2009 I made a cross country move from Indiana to California in my 1992 Chevy Tahoe. My truck has been one of the most comfortable and reliable vehicles I have ever owned. This particular vehicle had never broken down on me before, but even thought I had no basis for "break down" thoughts, my mind was bombarded with thoughts about breaking down and having no phone reception to call for help during this road trip.

Even now I can recall driving through certain areas of Oklahoma at 3AM with not one single car in site. For me, those aren't pleasant thoughts. My mind was plagued with negative thoughts and I continually had to bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ by speaking the Word of God out loud.

The scripture I used to get me to California safe on this trip was Psalm 34:7.....The angel of the Lord encamps around those who reverence Him and delivers them. I made the trip in 36 hours. Other than fuel stops, I stopped to rest only once for 45 minutes. During this trip I probably spoke Psalm 34:7 out of my mouth over 100 times. Every time I found myself meditating on breaking down, I let Psalm 34:7 flow out of my mouth and each time I did, the thoughts of breaking down would leave. Speaking words is how we cast down imaginations and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

So what negative thoughts are you dealing with? What thoughts are you having that you know are detrimental to where you want to be in life? I urge you to bring into captivity every thought with the Word of God. Don't allow any thought that contradicts Gods Word to take root in your mind. Take the time to find a scripture to do battle with your mind and let that scripture flow from your mouth continually and you will stop those thoughts from having an opportunity to manifest in your life.

Greg's love of writing and the unique way God illustrates the truth of His Word through everyday life situations has given birth to the FaithsMessenger Blog (http://www.faithsmessenger.com). Our goal is to share biblical principles, stories and analogies in a clear, concise, and understandable way.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print