In Her Absence
by PamFord Davis

Mom died in 1999. How did the years pass so quickly? I vividly recall my last moments with her. I have replayed them in my mind countless times. It was right before leaving for the airport and my return flight back home...

It had been a very stressful three weeks. During my stay, I helped care for both parents before and after Mom had surgery to remove a tumor from one of her lungs. My brother Gary's arrival from CA would nearly coincide with my departure.

Mom got up from the couch. We stood face-to-face and exchanged what would be our last embrace. Her smile gave no hint of her suffering...

Memories often surface during routine daily events and frequently in our dreams. The realization that Mom was gone occurred in one of those riveting dreams. She was not in a distant state, her cozy apartment or in a hospital. Mom was gone.

I woke up whimpering. I found it strange to have a dream about her death after so many years. Sharing the emotional experience with a friend, I sensed the probable cause.

Mom's birthday was approaching.

Betty Ferris Ford, born 8-30-1922. If still living, I'd be placing a call to wish her a happy birthday. I miss her voice, her smile and her hugs. She is no longer with her family. Now, she is with the Lord.

"We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:8 NKJV)."

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print