What's that Smell?
by Julie Andre

As a child my dad use to love to cook us breakfast. He
would surprise us with different culinary creations. Some mornings I would get up and say, "What's that smell?" My dad would respond with pride, "that's the SPAM I fixed for you." He thought that made a great breakfast treat! I was not as enthused as he was. There was something about the smell, look, and taste of SPAM that did not excite me. Of course, I was told if I complained that I needed to think of all the starving children around the world. So guess what? I ate the SPAM trying not to throw up!
Forty years had passed since my last spam breakfast. Thank goodness! Shortly after my husband and I married, my husband decided to surprise me with breakfast. One morning when I entered the kitchen, I recognized an unpleasant odor." OH NO! I said to myself," Don't tell me he has fixed me SPAM as a surprise." Just as my dad had years earlier was filled with pride for his breakfast treat, my husband's chest was bursting too. He had fixed a special breakfast for me. I did not want to hurt his feelings yet I didn't want to tell him how great the SPAM breakfast was. If I did that, he would think SPAM was one of my favorite breakfast foods. I could barely tolerate the look, and smell, and taste of SPAM. My perception of SPAM is it is a junk food. I do my best to avoid junk food. After enduring a few SPAM breakfasts, I did let my husband know I am not in favor of SPAM as a food for me. He now only fixes that smelly piece of food for himself. YEAH!
Until recently, I thought SPAM was a rather disgusting food. To me it was junk. Since then I have learned a new definition for SPAM. In computer lingo to me it means junk mail. This mail goes through a filter where it is filed as SPAM. I usually do not look at my SPAM mail. For me it is a waste of time. It causes clutter and confusion for me. My mind gets on mental overload with too many trivial pieces of information. Instead of focusing on the important things in life, I get sidetracked. My mind becomes a battlefield with Satan vying for my attention. Mental clutter , and distractions keep my mind as active as a gerbil in a cage---nonstop motion.
In order to deal with the mental SPAM, I use the Word of God as my defense. When I realize that my mind is on overactive, I then begin to cite Bible verse out load. Taking that action moves me into a calmer state of mind. I begin to experience that peace that passes all understanding. So excuse me for now. It's time to go clear the mental SPAM that surfaced while I was diligently writing this piece about SPAM

Julie W. Andre', BS, MEd, MSW, is a retired educator  with 25 years educational experience in the Jefferson Parish Public  School System in Louisiana.  Since educational retirement , I have  had my  own Mary Kay business, and an image consulting business. As an image consultant, I  wrote a fashion booklet about line, design, and color.  I was the  fashion  writer for a  prominent local magazine which had sponsored a makeover contest.
In the last two  years I have completed  two  writing classes with the Institute of Children's Literature. I have also been published in Northshore Parents Magazine with my pet diary article.
Since June of 2009, I have been the co-owner of a local stay-at-home pet care service. In the summer of 2011, I wrote and published  a children's picture book called JJ's ABC's of Pet Care. It has been adopted by the St. Tammany Humane Society to be used for educating the children of St. Tammany Parish in Louisiana. This book is appropriate for  pre-k through 3rd grade. It is also being added to the National Association of Professional Pet Sitters educational component on its website.  NAPPS members  will have access to downloading the file from the NAPPS website for  use in their own communities across the USA.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print