A River Baptism
by Michael Adams

There comes days in all of our lives we never forget. For a church and family it was August 26, 2012. This writer had the privilege of baptizing his daughter in the river. She wanted a true public testimony and to be baptized as Jesus was in the river. The Narrows State Park and the Little Miami River was the scene of her public testimony and baptism.

Jesus commanded us as Christians to go into all the world preaching and baptizing in His name. He taught that baptism followed believing in Him for our salvation. The Apostles went on to teach that baptism is a public display of our faith in Christ. They taught that it is a public statement of our following Jesus in the likeness of His death, burial, and resurrection. Jesus died, He was buried, and He rose from the dead. We cannot live under the water, therefore it is a picture of us being in a watery grave. Baptism becomes a picture of our death and burial. Then as we are raised out of the water it shows our likeness in Jesus rising from the grave.

Jamie's testimony is one that brings tears to this writers eyes. She is a beautiful young lady that was trapped in her unbelief. She wanted God in her life though she stayed away from surrendering to God. The ways of the world led her life and would interfere with accepting Christ as her savior. She did not know that her world was about to change one early fall morning in November 2011.

As I entered work that morning the news one of our friends had passed away soon changed the day. I called home and let my wife Tammy know that Tommy had just been found an hour earlier dead of a heart attack. I told her a few of us had talked with Tommy about Jesus and the time was now, we are not promised tomorrow. Tommy thanked us for talking with him but said he was not ready. He was grateful that we would talk to him and share what we believe. I let her know I was just sick that Tommy passed away, lost, not knowing Jesus Christ as his savior and Lord.

A couple hours later Tammy called Jamie to let her know about Tommy. She too works with me but in a different location and different job. Upon hearing the word of Tommy passing away Jamie became very upset. She knew Tommy died and was in Hell from his denying Jesus. She knew we had talked with him earlier about salvation in the name of Jesus. Her response was,"Mom Tommy is in Hell isn't he? Mike just talked to him and he died lost, right? Mom is this what I am doing, is this what I have to look forward too? I don't want that, what do I have to do?" Tammy was floored she knew her baby girl was crying out to have Jesus Christ in her life. She told her to answer her phone when she got a call, that it would be Pastor Steve. Tammy called Pastor Steve and told him what had happened to Tommy and that Jamie was an emotional mess.

The greatest phone call Jamie could ever receive was about to happen. Pastor Steve called her and they talked for a long time. Pastor Steve then asked Jamie if she wanted to be saved? Jamie replied that yes she did. So the two of them went over the plan of salvation and Jamie asked Jesus Christ into her life there on the phone.

Since then Jamie has been on fire for Jesus Christ continually praising His name and spreading the love of God. Then came the decision on baptism. Jamie decided she wanted a river baptism, the same as her Lord. On her birthday August 26, 2012, we entered the waters of the Little Miami River and made her public testimony known to all those passing by. There were kayakers, hikers and those canoeing who witnessed her baptism. This is a day many will never forget, especially me, baptizing my daughter.

Michael is an evangelist serving from South Dayton Baptist Church in Moraine, Ohio. He has given his life to serve God in evangelism and pulpit supply for over 100 area churches. He is married to his wife Tammy the love of his life. Together they travel and spread the great news of Jesus Christ.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print