Martha's Kitchen
by Beth LaBuff

--a Sunday School activity for children ages 8 to 10--
--to accompany the story Mary and Martha from Luke 10:38-42--



At the foot of the Mountain of Olives was the village of Bethany.
Where Mary and Martha and Lazarus their brother, bided--as family.

One time a traveler named Jesus raised the dead and healed sick while He roamed;
And when He had entered their village, they welcomed Him into their home.

He spoke words with power and comfort while Mary just sat at his feet.
But Martha was troubled since chores needed done; stayed up late, fixing meals to eat.

Let's sneak into Martha's warm kitchen; while she works we can peek all around.
She's trying to slide that colossal tall jug, and she's wearing an enormous frown!

On the table a basket looks perfect for a picnic up high on a hill.
Take care; poring rain could make Lazarus sick, giving rise to a fever and chills.

Now Martha is grumbling to Jesus as she straightens the bowls on the shelf,
"Bid Mary come help me, I might overdo, Ugh! I'm doing the work by myself!"

With compassion the Lord answers Martha, "You're anxious with serving today,
But Mary has chosen what's better, which will never be taken away."
***


Not everything in Martha's kitchen is in plain sight. I've hidden items in her kitchen. Help Martha find these hidden words in the rhyme above so she'll have more time to spend sitting with her sister Mary at Jesus' feet. (See the example following the hidden word list.)

Hidden Word List:
Cup
Dough
Grain
Herb
Meat
Plate
Salt

Example: The word "stones" is hidden in the following sentence.
We were the first ones to climb the Mount of Olives today.
Answer: We were the fir--stones-- to climb the Mount of Olives today.
***


ANSWER KEY
At the foot of the Mountain of Olives was the village of Bethany.
Where Mary and Martha and Lazarus their brot--herb--ided--as family.

One ti--meat--raveler named Jesus, raised the dead and healed sick while He roamed,
And when He had entered their village, they welcomed Him into their home.

His spoke words with power and comfort while Mary just sat at his feet.
But Martha was troubled since chores needed done; stayed u--plate,-- fixing meals to eat.

Let's sneak into Martha's warm kitchen; while she works we can peek all around.
She's trying to slide that colos--salt--all jug and she's wearing an enormous frown!

On the table a basket looks perfect for a picni--cup-- high on a hill.
Take care; porin--grain-- could make Lazarus sick, giving rise to a fever and chills.

Now Martha is grumbling to Jesus as she straightens the bowls on the shelf,
"Bid Mary come help me, I might over--doUgh--! I'm doing the work by myself!"

With compassion the Lord answers Martha, "You're anxious with serving today,
But, Mary has chosen what's better, which will never be taken away."

Copyright Beth LaBuff 2017

Before Beth LaBuff and her husband, Tilman, moved to the high desert of Arizona, she lived most of her life surrounded by the cornfields of Adair County, Iowa. 

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my_website.php?id=24676

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print