Pot of Ailment OR Pot of Aliment
by Beth LaBuff

--a Sunday School activity for children ages 8-10
--to accompany the story "Death in the Pot" from 2 Kings 4:38-41--
***

--An "A I L M E N T" is an illness--
--An "A L I M E N T" is something that nourishes, like food--


Instructions: Unscramble the bracketed word(s) to make single words that will complete the rhyme about Elisha and the school of prophets. Then decide which title is correct, "Pot of Ailment" or "Pot of Aliment"? For help with the scrambled words, see the list following the rhyme.


In the time of Elisha the [prep hot] __________, to Gilgal the prophet returned.
A [amen if] __________ was troubling the region and had left all God's people concerned.

Elisha held [loch so] __________ with some prophets that had gathered together to learn.
One day they were seated before him, when [hen rug] ___________ gave cause to adjourn.

To his [ant revs] __________ he gave this instruction, and despite lack of food they'd make do,
"Put on a large [top] __________ , add in items of food; then we'll boil us a kettle of stew."

In order to season the stew pot, one [crash lo] __________ went gathering herbs.
Would cumin or garlic best flavor the stew? Could [arm dust] ___________ seed make it superb?

What he found were some [do rugs] __________ on a vine; He'd no clue--no idea what they were.
He gathered the gourds, sliced them into the [west] __________ and then gave the whole pot a stir.

Once cooked, it was [did she] _________ up and served; each scholar had stew piping hot,
Then as they were eating, the men shouted out, "Man of God, there is [hated] __________ in the pot!"

Elisha's sound wisdom was just to add [fur lo] ___________ which he said without showing alarm.
Then they re-served the stew, which the scholars all ate. It [red lutes] ___________ in doing no harm.

In the Bible, the flour, meal [finer fog] __________, and bread; have been given to show us The One,
A picture of Christ, so we'll all [tundra ends] __________; it will help us to learn of God's Son.

If you find that your life has been poisoned from wild [veins] __________ and gourds that were sliced.
Just follow Elisha's sound [do swim] __________; to your life add more flour--more of Christ.


Scrambled Word List:
Death, dished, famine, flour, gourds, hunger, mustard, offering, pot, prophet, resulted, scholar, school, servant, stew, understand, vines, wisdom


Answer to the question: "Which title is correct, 'Pot of Ailment' OR 'Pot of Aliment'?"
Both answers are correct. The pot of stew with the gourds would have poisoned the men. Once flour was added, the pot of stew nourished the men.


Answer Key:
In the time of Elisha the prophet, to Gilgal the prophet returned.
A famine was troubling the region and had left all God's people concerned.

Elisha held school with some prophets that had gathered together to learn.
One day they were seated before him, when hunger gave cause to adjourn.

To his servant he gave this instruction, and despite lack of food they'd make do,
"Put on a large pot, add in items of food; then we'll boil us a kettle of stew."

In order to season the stew pot, one scholar went gathering herbs.
Would cumin or garlic best flavor the stew? Could mustard seed make it superb?

What he found were some gourds on a vine, with no clue--no idea what they were.
He gathered the gourds, sliced them into the stew and then gave the whole pot a stir.

Once cooked, it was dished up and served; each scholar had stew piping hot,
Then as they were eating, the men shouted out, "Man of God, there is death in the pot!"

Elisha's sound wisdom was just to add flour which he said without showing alarm.
Then they re-served the stew, which the scholars all ate. It resulted in doing no harm.

In the Bible, the flour, meal offering, and bread; have been given to show us The One,
A picture of Christ, so we'll all understand; it will help us to learn of God's Son.

If you find that your life has been poisoned from wild vines and gourds that were sliced.
Just follow Elisha's sound wisdom; to your life add more flour--more of Christ.

Copyright Beth LaBuff 2017

Before Beth LaBuff and her husband, Tilman, moved to the high desert of Arizona, she lived most of her life surrounded by the cornfields of Adair County, Iowa. 

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my_website.php?id=24676

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print