Common Sense Look At Sin
by Stephen Vattimo

What is sin? Who determines what sin is? Does sin exist in this day of enlightenment?
Have you ever wondered what the truth is concerning this subject ?
In this article I will attempt to reveal if sin exist or not,by siting teaching of the Holy Bible and comparing them to sense.
My definition of sin is, any thought,word,or action that is offensive to God or my fellow man is sin. Sin also produces unmistakable fruit, which causes harm,destruction,and death,to the offender or to people around them.
In the Bible God gives Israel The ten commandments,also called the law of Moses. God gave them the ten commandment to be a moral guide that they were to follow,that they would not offend the God who encamped him self among them. Who If they obeyed God's commands, He blessed them,provided for their need,protected them from their enemies,prospered them in the land.

Here are the ten Commandments: Exodus 20:1-17 (New American Standard Bible)


1 Then God spoke all these words, saying,

2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of [a]slavery.

3 "You shall have no other gods [b]before Me.

4 "You shall not make for yourself [c]an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing loving kindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

7 "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not [d]leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

8 "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who [e]stays with you. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

12 "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the LORD your God gives you.

13 "You shall not murder.

14 "You shall not commit adultery.

15 "You shall not steal.

16 "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

17 "You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife or his male servant or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

From reading the Bible for many years,I have come to the conclusion that these are the following reason God had given man kind the ten commandments:

God gave the ten commandment out of love for us. He new that since the fall of man in the Garden, man's moral baring were on a progressive decline. Man at one point had become so depraved in his nature that every thought and intent of his heart was evil and violent, so God wipe man off the face of the earth except (Noah and his family)with a world wide flood. God knowing are sin nature causes mankind to be prone to self destructive behavior,He gave us the ten commands as a guide on how to live a live that wont harm ourselves or our fellow human being.
Genesis 6:5-14 (New American Standard Bible)

5 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved [a]in His heart. 7 The LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the [b]sky; for I am sorry that I have made them." 8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.

9 These are the records of the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, [c]blameless in his [d]time; Noah walked with God. 10 Noah [e]became the father of three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

11 Now the earth was corrupt in the sight of God, and the earth was filled with violence. 12 God looked on the earth, and behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted their way upon the earth.

13 Then God said to Noah, "The end of all flesh has come before Me; for the earth is filled with violence because of them; and behold, I am about to destroy them with the earth. 14 Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall [f]cover it inside and out with pitch.

He also gave the ten commands to be a mirror, to show man kind what his nature is compare to to what God's nature is. God is holy and his nature demand to destroy evil,and man has a rebellious spirit toward God. There for just as God has prepared a place and time to punish Satan and His demons for their insurrection,God must do the same for sinful man.
God uses the ten commands to show man kind that he fall sort Of God standard,but at the same time God doesn't want to destroy him. God provides His son Jesus to fulfill the requirement on be have of man, so that through the work of Jesus,( Jesus lived a life of perfect obedience to God's commands,He who was innocent of sin,paid the penalty for those who have sinned)that man kind can be restored to fellowship with God, though putting their trust in this provision of salvation.

Does sin really cause destruction ?

According to the first book in the Bible( Genesis ) it records that God created the Earth and every thing on it,and it was perfect. God crown His creation by creating Humans,and he place the fist man in a beautiful garden,and created a wife for him,and they lived and worked,and fellowship with God. Now God gave man a fee will,and to have free will you have to make choices. So God had place a tree called the tree of knowledge of good and
evil in the center of the Garden,and command the man and his wife not to eat from it.
The first sin was committed when they disobeyed God and ate of the fruit of the tree they were forbidden to eat from.
Now let see what destruction a little sin causes. Here is a list of thing that came into being due to the result of Adam and Eve sin:

Being naked took on same

They hid from the presence of God

They did not take responsibility for their action they turned to blame someone else.

Woman would experience pain giving birth to children.

The earth and creatures were cursed,they are at enmity with man, man shall work by the sweat of his brow.

Man kind would face sickness,disease,pain,death.

Man will face the eternal lake of fire.

God will provide a way of salvation by sending His son in the future.

They were cast out of God's garden.

Genesis 3:6-24

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

6 When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves [a]loin coverings.

8 They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the [b]cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9 Then the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, "Where are you?" 10 He said, "I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid myself." 11 And He said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?" 12 The man said, "The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate." 13 Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" And the woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." 14 The LORD God said to the serpent,

"Because you have done this,
Cursed are you more than all cattle,
And more than every beast of the field;
On your belly you will go,
And dust you will eat
All the days of your life;
15 And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her seed;
He shall [c]bruise you on the head,
And you shall bruise him on the heel."
16 To the woman He said,
"I will greatly multiply
Your pain [d]in childbirth,
In pain you will bring forth children;
Yet your desire will be for your husband,
And he will rule over you."

17 Then to Adam He said, "Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree about which I commanded you, saying, 'You shall not eat from it';

Cursed is the ground because of you;
In [e]toil you will eat of it
All the days of your life.
18 "Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you;
And you will eat the [f]plants of the field;
19 By the sweat of your face
You will eat bread,
Till you return to the ground,
Because from it you were taken;
For you are dust,
And to dust you shall return."

20 Now the man called his wife's name [g]Eve, because she was the mother of all the living. 21 The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife, and clothed them.

22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever" 23 therefore the LORD God sent him out from the garden of Eden, to cultivate the ground from which he was taken. 24 So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He stationed the cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every direction to guard the way to the tree of life.

Now we have looked some biblical examples of the destruction sin can cause,how about some modern day examples.

Bernard Lawrence "Bernie" Madoff, former American stockbroker, entrepreneur, and investor:
his wealth management business into a massive Ponzi scheme that defrauded thousands of investors of billions of dollars.

James Warren "Jim" Jones (May 13, 1931 November 18, 1978) was the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple, which is best known for the November 18, 1978 mass suicide of 909 Temple members in Jonestown, Guyana along with the killings of five other people at a nearby airstrip.

Adolf Hitler (German: [ˈadɔlf ˈhɪtlɐ] ( listen); 20 April 1889 30 April 1945) was an Austrian-born German politician and the leader of the National Socialist German Workers Party (German: Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei (NSDAP), commonly referred to as the Nazi Party). He was Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945, and head of state (as Fhrer und Reichskanzler) from 1934 to 1945. Hitler is most commonly associated with the rise of fascism in Europe, World War II, and the Holocaust.

The people mentioned above have inflicted destruction on a large population of people through their evil actions.

Yet we have people today who claimed to be enlightened yet they live in the dark,because they deny that sin exists. They refuse to acknowledge The ten commandment as a foundation to build absolute morals on.
With this kind of thinking becoming more popular in this day and age,it wont belong before civilization will decline into disorder and chaos,as people will devourer each other by doing what seem right in their own site .

Written by Stephen J.Vattimo November 24,2011

https://www.facebook.com/groups/surealworld/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print