New Every Morning
by Betty Castleberry

I take my first cup of coffee out to the patio with me. The first sip burns my tongue slightly, but it is rich and strong and begins the process of waking me.

A hummingbird is visiting the feeder. He is already going about the business of his day. The tiny wings beat so fast, they are nearly invisible. I reflect on yesterday, recalling an embarrassing moment and how I reacted. I would have loved to be invisible then.

"Lord, please guide me through today and help me to not make foolish mistakes."

The swing beckons me and I sit, enjoying the cool fresh air, so far, undisturbed by a hectic day. An unkind word spoken to my husband the day before haunts me. I wish the peaceful feeling I am experiencing now would have blanketed me then.

"Lord, grant me your peace that surpasses all understanding."

I see a new bloom on my Mr. Lincoln rose and venture out to get a closer look. The blossom is not quite fully opened, but already, it is beautiful. It is Valentine red and fragrant. Its velvet petals hold drops of dew. I remember a time yesterday when I heard some disturbing news and cried.

"Lord, hold me and dry my tears today."

A lady bug is climbing up the stem. She is tiny, but remarkable in her ability to climb such a daunting mountain. I think of a situation that seemed impossible yesterday. How I wish I could climb my mountain with such ease.

"Lord, give me a boost up that mountain."

My honeysuckle vine perfumes the air. Butterflies are landing on the little flowers, feasting on the sweet nectar. Something made me angry yesterday. My attitude created a stench that even I did not appreciate. I wish I could go back and change that disposition.

"Lord, help me to keep my attitude sweet and fragrant today. Fill me with your spiritual nectar."

Gentle rain begins to fall. I turn my face to it, relishing the soothing drops on my cheeks. They fall from heaven, washing away all traces of yesterday, and I am eager to receive them. I make a vow to exercise my faith better today, and praise God for who He is. His mercies are new every morning.


~Lamentations 3:22-23: It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
They are new every morning, great is thy faithfulness. ~KJV

Copyright  2006 Betty Castleberry

~The author is a retired-early-by-choice RN who lives in Texas with her husband and three parrots.  She has a daughter, step daughter, and five grandchildren.  She is a published author, and loves to write for the Lord. Email her @
[email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print