A Grandfather�s Advice - first date
by Richard L. Provencher

Now that I am older, and wiser I feel so comfortable with advice. Too often no one wants to listen, so I am going to email my grandson this missive. After all, I knew so little when my own son was a teen, with wild eyes whenever a girl came around. Wow, chicks, he used to say, no-no, they are ladies, girls, well yes chicks are really not so bad. Whoa, Im digressing a little, so back up and get to the subject. Let me think, oh yeah---

---Grandson
At 15 you have responsibilities, and decorum and my advice to you is as follows on your very important step in life, a first date:

Take a shower, yes, I know you do, but keep it under fifteen minutes. Leave some hot water for other people. Its called consideration, besides, you dont want to meet your girl smelling like a moose, or looking like a lobster. She may not like lobster, even though they are delicious. She may not like moose either. Now where was I---oh yes

Dress up so your tattoos dont show. She may not like snakes writing on your arms when you bulge your biceps. Wait until, well youll find out as you grow older. And do you have to wear your nose ring? Well, if you must. Wear clean clothes, not the ones you kick under the bed. And clean socks, Ill lend you some if you wish. I know only having only two pairs is hard. But your mom keeps telling you to get more.

Please dont wear those tight jeans; you dont really want to tease her on your first date, bulging all over. Be a gentleman. Oh yes, and dont forget your pocket Bible. Whenever your eyes begin to wander, or you feel crazy, squeeze the good book, you wont regret it.

Lets see now, got washed, clothed, mouth full of Listerine (you dont have to swallow it, make sure you spit it out); get your dads jacket he grew out of ten years ago and your best running shoes. I know you only have a pair of boots besides them, but you have to wear something you can dance in and my shoes dont fit you.

Get some flowers; they may mute the smell of your Super Duper two handfuls of shaving lotion youll probably slather all over yourself. Make sure she smells the flowers right away. Now phone me when you are ready and grandpa will be a chauffeur for this special time. Ill even open the car door for you, but only this first time. After that, its up to you.

Now grandson, you know I love you very much and this advice is very important to follow. Every step is important. And after your date is all over, I would like you to send me a note and tell me how much fun you had. Love, from granddad.

Richard L. Provencher

Richard enjoys writing poems; many of which have been published in Print and Online. He and his wife, Esther are also co-authors of stories and a print novel. They are "born again" Christians and very busy in their church, Abundant Life Victory International, in Bible Hill, Nova Scotia.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print