Hot air balloons and Jesus
by Janet Riley

God can be very gentle, but firm, when He pops the hot air balloons of my opinions about my spiritual walk.

I had the idea I was doing a fairly good job of showing unconditional love to a neighbor. I helped her with a resume and finding a job. Later I heard that she was nice to my face, but saying bad things behind my back. The other day I saw her, and did not stop to talk. I just said hello and kept walking.

A friend I was talking to later helped me see my real motive. I did not stop to talk to her since I knew she had said bad things about me. But was that a Christian attitude? This person was not a Christian and needed to see Christ in me.

I had a hot air balloon in the idea that I was doing a good job of trusting Jesus. Then my husband became very ill, and I had other changes in my life at the same time.

I got stressed out and asked God why everything seemed to be happening at once. Why could life not proceed in a more orderly fashion, with one major change at a time? How many changes at once? No limit?

I was getting stressed out trying to control life, when really all I could control was my reaction to life events. I needed a reminder that God was in control, not me. I needed the reminder to trust Jesus in all circumstances.

I had a hot air balloon that I was seeing my value as being a child of God, and not based on how successful I was in relationships and with life.

My life became an emotional roller coaster as I had good and bad days.

I based my feeling of self-worth on my success or failures for the day. The gentle message of God came in His unconditional love for me as His child. That was my value.

Do you have any hot air balloons in your life?

(C) Janet Riley, 2014. I know God as a personal God who communicates with us, if we listen. I am starting on a Christian writing career and open to where God leads me. Please review my other articles at FaithWriters. I would like to hear from you. Please email at [email protected].

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print