Turkey Wishbone
by PamFord Davis

"Make a wish!" As a youngster, I made many wishes on turkey "wishbones." The bone evidently failed to fulfill the wish of the turkey. His fondest wish to avoid capture and kill did not come true. His unfulfilled wish for self-preservation was his loss, but my gain. The deceased landed on Mom's holiday platter. I joined in the "Ford" family festivities, eyed the drumsticks, wished for first choice and licked my lips.

Paul, in worship of his Lord and love for people, wished to see the salvation of his kinsmen. "I am telling the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit, that I have great sorrow and unceasing grief in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh, who are Israelites (Romans 9:1-4a NAS)."

The nation of Israel's orthodox Jews were in need of conversion and confession. Paul devotedly made their salvation his desire. "Brethren, my heart's desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. For not knowing about God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God (Romans 10:1-3 NAS)."

The righteousness of God the Father, through His Son is reason for thanksgiving and praise. "He made him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him (2 Corinthians 5:21 NAS)." I have no plans of making a wish on a turkey carcass bone this Thanksgiving. I do wish for the salvation of many I hold dear. I pray God will break my heart and provide a sense of urgency to persevere in prayer.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print