Rough Road
by Jeff Ferris

we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God. (Acts 14:22 KJV)


The scrolling yellow text on the portable marquee couldn't be avoided. I saw it from a good distance, while driving south on Toledo, Ohio's Interstate 23, in August. The message was clear and simple, and it provided ample warning.

ROUGH ROAD AHEAD

That was the message, cautioning all motorists to reduce their speed and proceed with care and attentiveness.

Being one of countless travelers on the highway, at that time, I knew the message wasn't for me alone, but I was able to respond to it as though it was.

A moment later, I came upon a rough milled surface on the highway overpass. It didn't surprise me or catch me unaware. There was nothing odd or unusual about it.

Had I not been alerted, it would have been entirely different to encounter such a disturbance in the smooth surface on which I had been driving.

I appreciated the heads-up as it allowed me to prepare for that particular rough patch and continue through it, calmly and confidently.

With tires humming over the narrow grooves, I immediately thought of other clear warnings that we've been given as we navigate the highway of life.

We find then throughout scripture. They are there for all to heed and prepare for. They are also written as a personal memo to you and me, so we won't become startled when we encounter the rough and rugged patches of life.

Instead, we grip the wheel, hold our course and continue moving onward.


Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on his behalf. (I Peter 4:12, 13 & 16 KJV)



(This article was published in Pathway Christian Newspaper October 2012)

www.pathwaycn.com

email Jeff Ferris at:
[email protected]
or [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print