Swimming Like Iron
by Jeff Ferris

the iron axe fell into the water
So the man of God said, "Where did it fall?" And he showed him the place. So he cut off a stick and threw it in there; and he made the iron float. (II Kings 6:5&6 New KJV)


There often comes a time in our lives when we reach a point of desperation. When this occurs, we can allow God to prove Himself and take the reins, as did Todd Johnson in the year 1990.

At that time, Todd had enrolled in the U.S. Navy. Eighteen years of age, he was strong, healthy and athletic, but he was completely unable to swim. Nor did he contain the ability to simply tread water or hold his head above the surface.

This proved to be quite a dilemma for Todd as his Navy career was wholly contingent upon him passing a mandatory swim test. In this feat, three was the crucial number. If he did not pass the test in that many chances, Todd would be discharged from the military.

Twice Todd attempted the swim test, and twice he failed it.

Standing on dry land, his military career was floundering, in danger of disappearing below the surface. Kneeling on holy ground suddenly seemed to be the answer to that dilemma.

Todd knew holy ground was anywhere he humbled his heart and bowed his head to pray. For him it was on North Island, on the U.S. Naval base in San Diego, California.

It was there and then that he prayed: "God, I need Your help. You need to help me pass this test".

Todd then walked directly to the swimming pool and ascended the twelve-foot-high ladder to the diving board.

This is it, he thought.

He then moved to the end of the board and jumped.

At that moment, the same God Who caused an iron axe head to float in water for the prophet Elisha caused Todd Johnson of Toledo, Ohio to swim!

When Todd took his swim test his third and final time, he passed it phenomenally! With that, he was overcome with a greater appreciation of God's goodness and faithfulness.

This miraculous intervention impacted Todd's life in such a way that he has never been the same. He has lived each day to the glory of God, evangelizing tirelessly for the One Who had walked on water and Who had miraculously taught him how to swim.



(This article was published in Pathway Christian Newspaper May 2012 Divine Intervention Series)

www.pathwaycn.com

email Jeff Ferris at:
[email protected]
or [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print