The Sound Of Nothing
by Jeff Ferris

At times, we all endure being awakened by intrusive sounds and various noises. Having experienced my share of light and restless sleep, I have been disturbed by the proverbial pin drop as often as by the blaring things.

There was a time when I worked long hours on a factory swing shift. This added no particular benefit to my sleeping dilemma, trying to acclimate to night and day and back again.

Is 3 a.m. early or is it late?

I suppose it depends on what side of the duty roster you are on; are you up still or are you up already? On dayshift I left home at 4 a.m. A week later I clocked out at that time. So, it would never surprise me that I couldn't sleep well, no matter how tired I was.

The other night I was awakened for no perceptible reason. It was actually early morning. So early (or late) that it was an hour that doesn't exist to most people. The time on the clock said it was a few minutes before 3 o'clock.

I sat up and listened. What was that? I strained my hearing, long and hard. Through the darkness came the sound of nothing. It was as if the entire city had fallen asleep.

There was no distant train whistle. No passing car or rumbling motorcycle. No traffic or movements whatsoever. There were no barking dogs, rustling leaves or spattering rain. Nothing.

It was then that I realized I had been awakened by the sound of peace and quiet. It was the calm, the stillness, the soothing emptiness.

I slipped out of bed and made my way to the living room and sank onto the sofa. In the darkness I continued to listen, and in the darkness I continued to hear nothing.

It was pleasant. It was serene. It was holy.

This was a time to reflect, a chance to pray and an opportunity to hear the voice of God. There is much to be heard in the sound of nothing.

And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:
And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. (I Kings 19:11&12 KJV)



(This article was published in Pathway Christian Newspaper June 2012)

www.pathwaycn.com

email Jeff Ferris at:
[email protected]
or [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print