Any Stars in My Crown?
by PamFord Davis

A child's recognition of excellence by their peers, parents and authority figures increases not only confidence, but also deters the temptation to settle for second best in personal performance. In kindergarten, first and second grade my teachers awarded me with shiny gold stars for doing well. Our grading system had rankings of E for excellence, S for satisfactory and U for unsatisfactory.

I remember teachers giving me many S grades upon class work and a sprinkling of E's. Seeing the letter E atop my paper was a great feeling, but the gold stars were extra special. Within the pages of scripture we see gold being offered as a reward for faithfulness. Heaven's streets are paved with gold. (Revelation 21:21) Reigning with Christ, in the New Jerusalem, elders will wear crowns of gold. (Revelation 4:4)

Through the message of a popular hymn, "Will There Be Any Stars in My Crown," the words of inquiry convict me. Will there be any stars of gold in "my" crown? I will not be haughty if there are. Worshiping with others in my midst, I'd present my rewards to the Redeemer. The Lamb of God, slain as the perfect sacrifice, excelled in the Father's salvation plan. http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/w/i/willther.htm

"Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor, and thanks to the One seated on the throne, the One who lives forever and ever, the 24 elders fall down before the One seated on the throne, worship the One who lives forever and ever, cast their crowns before the throne and say: Our Lord and God, You are worthy to receive glory and honor and power (Revelation 4:9-11a HCS)."

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print