Writing non fiction
by Marie Grossett

As a published author who has written a fiction and nonfiction book I find writing nonfiction a lot easier.

As my previous article states with fiction you can stretch your imagination as fiction involves the author being very descriptive. Nonfiction involves a lot of research, gathering evidence and turning that subject matter into a book.

The most common nonfiction critiques I have done are mainly biographies. Some people write their biography just for the sake of writing it, while others write their biography as an inspiration or encouragement to others, those are the best nonfiction stories I have critiqued. It's no good writing your biography for the sake of it remember you are exposing every part of your being.

Before writing your 'self portrait' consider if you really want to invite the public into your personal life. Also it is not just about you there are other people involved it could be family members or friends a part of their life will be exposed too.

If you decide against writing your biography but do have an encouraging story you could always write a fictional story based on your life.

Just a few nonfiction writing tips! Choose a topic that you are passionate about a topic that you are an 'expert' in. This will also save you time when you are conducting your research as you would know exactly where to go and what to look for when gathering your information.

You must reference your source you don't want to be sued for copyright. Be careful when writing names especially if the person doesn't know you are writing about them you don't want to be taken to court.

You can make up the names to avoid the headache and let the reader know that the names are fictional.

If you are going to write your biography it would still be nice to have a description of scenery year and time just like you would do in fiction so the reader is involved in the story.
I hope you found my tips useful happy writing to all you aspiring nonfiction authors.


Marie Grossett aka Vanessa Grossett is a published Author, and has interviewed best selling and award winning Christian Authors.

She is a Literary Agent at The Authors Care Services ltd. www.theauthorscare.co.uk [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print