Disobedience Creates Detours
by Yvette Nietzen

Jonah 3:2-3 "Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and preach to it the message that I tell you."So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly great city, a three-day journey in extent.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word disobedience? Do you think of people like Jonah, disobeying the word of God and trying to flee from His presence? Or do you think of small children or teenagers disobeying their parents?

I am sure you can think of a time when you have been in disobedience at one time to another to family, friends, co-workers, parents and even God.

I love the story of Jonah, trying to flee from the presence of the Lord. Nevertheless, God still calls him out to accomplish a great task even though he failed Him the first time.
We are not perfect; we will fail and fall into sin. However, we have a gracious and merciful God, slow to anger and abundant in loving-kindness, one who relents from doing harm.

I remember a time when I wanted to move from one apartment to another. I felt the nudging of the Lord to not move. I placed a deposit on the apartment, but as it turned out we were unable to move and we lost the deposit. A short time later, we had the opportunity to house sit a nice home. Had we taken the apartment, we would have not been able to house sit and loose the opportunity. Once the housesitting job finished, the perfect place opened up for us and we then moved into a nice, large apartment. Had we taken the first apartment, that act of disobedience would have caused a detour in our path.

This taught me to wait on God and to trust His voice. He has much better things for us than we can ever imagine. Jonah disobeyed the Lord, but God's mercy and grace is abundant. Even when we mess up, His grace is there.

Have you been disobedient lately? Are you on a detour because of the disobedience? Not to worry! Just as God had pity on the city of Ninevah, where He reached out for them, how much more will God not show His love and grace upon you? If you are on that detour today, it is quite easy to get back on track. Acknowledge the disobedience, and see God's grace work on your behalf.

Thank you Lord that even though there are times where we are disobedient, you stand firm and gently call us back unto you.

Yvette Nietzen lives in the foothills of the Zurqui mountain in Costa Rica with her husband of 30 plus years.  View her blog at:
www.freshwind-ministries.org

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print