Tragedy Strikes
by Dewayne Rachels

December 14, 2012 a most unforgettable and tragic event occurred that has impacted not only citizens of the United States but also gained recognition around the world. Twenty-six lives were suddenly and unexpectedly taken out of this world in a violent rampage from a blood thirsty and evil young man. Within days of this shooting at an elementary school people from all walks of life are trying to make sense of this massacre. Popular topics people use to point fingers at this dark affair range from gun control laws to the need for a mental health reform. How must we deal with this as Christians? Should we be angry? Should we become paranoid? Should we throw God in the faces of the non-believers and say, "This is what happens when you take God out of our schools."? I thought God was supposed to be love, why did He allow this to happen?

Dealing with this as a Christian takes true faith and self-examination. We often want to condemn the secular government for misrepresenting the United States Constitution and allowing Christianity to be silenced. However, this is not a time for placing blame. In the book of John chapter 11, The Bible tells of an account of a man named Lazarus who became sick unto death. When Jesus heard of his sickness He didn't immediately go to Judea to heal him instead He waited for him to die. What?! Why would He do this? He did this because of people's unbelief. Though His disciples and, Mary and Martha, believed that Jesus was the Christ and they seen Him work miracles they still didn't comprehend His power over life and death. Mary and Martha came to meet Jesus at different times but had the same response to Jesus when they seen Him, "If you would've been here my brother wouldn't have died!" Isn't this the same response we gave to this tragedy? We say if prayer would be allowed in school, guns harder to own, or mental health patients taken better care of then this would not have happened to all these precious children. But Jesus had a different response! He didn't ridicule Mary, Martha, or the others. Neither did He tell them what they did wrong. He simply wept. The Bible (KJV) says Jesus groaned in His spirit and was troubled. Jesus knew about death more than any of us will ever know. He knew that he would raise Lazarus from the dead but yet He still wept.

Our response as Christians shouldn't be to figure out the problem with this evil but instead should be a time or mourning. Help others who are having difficulty with this tragedy grieve the loss of these precious souls. We should all know that as Jesus called to Lazarus and said, "Come forth", so did he do to these little ones. As the parents are weeping for their loss, so is Jesus.

People have difficulty understanding why God keeps allowing these horrible acts to happen. This lack of understanding leads many to be bitter against God and cause others to doubt the existence of the Christians' loving God. The following verse reference God's will that no one should die (eternally) but that everyone should come to repentance 2 Peter 3:9. Mathew 18 speaks of the one lost sheep and the Good Shepherd leaves the flock to save just one. Even before this world was created God knew that sin would separate us from Him. God had to allow sin to fully mature before our eyes so we could wholly understand the wages of sin. Which is better, a world without sin or a world where sin has been defeated?

If Adam and Eve would never have sinned the temptation would always be there. When Jesus comes back and judges the world our eyes will finally be opened to the full ramifications of our sinful nature. When we put on our incorruptible body it will be after we understand the damage of even the smallest of sins, such as eating a fruit that we aren't supposed to eat. Why has it taken so long for Jesus to come back? Because He isn't willing that any should perish but everyone would come to repentance. He loves us and keeps extending his invitation so others can also come to Him. In Revelations Chapter 6 the Saints ask how much longer will He allow this to happen. Jesus replied," until your fellow servants and brethren are killed as you were is fulfilled." This door is still open because He loves us. He doesn't want to see anyone cast into the fire, but one day the door will close and there won't be any pleas or prayers that Jesus will hear because everyone will have been given a chance to accept Him but many will refuse.


Dewayne J Rachels (DJ) www.labourersministry.org

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print