Psalm 2:6
by Don Costello

Psalm 2:6

Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

1. "Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion."

a. The tense is past tense, He has already done it. In order to be clear we need to cover again in summary what has been said. In the first three verses of Psalm 2 the Gentile nations are seeking to rid themselves of all ties, associations with the LORD God and Christ. In verses 4 & 5 the LORD laughs at them and speaks to them in His wrath. In both of these verses there is a whole range of consequences directly resulting from the actions of the nations to throw off their ties with God, and they are found in Proverbs 1 and Romans 1. These consequences are more of a sowing and reaping variety rather than the kind we typically associate with the seals, trumpets, and vials of the Second Coming of Christ highlighted in Revelation. Verses 6-9 are God giving His answer to the Gentile nations seeking their independence from Him. Verses 6 & 7 are past tense.

b. set [5258 * nacak][BLB: to pour out, pour, offer, cast, to pour out, to cast metal images, to anoint (a king), to be anointed, to pour out (as a libation), to pour out libations, to be poured out, to set, install, to install, to be installed.][Gesenius: to make a libation, to cast out of metal, to anoint a king[Psalm 2:6], to be anointed[Proverbs 8:23], to make a libation, to pour out.]

c. king [4428 * melek][Genesius: king.]

1). I did a search of the word set/nacak [5258]in Strong's and did not find one use of it in connection to anointing, even though it is in list of definitions. It is always used in connection with an offering. Also in AMG Complete Word Study Dictionary of the Old Testament its use is exclusively used in connection with offerings, never of an anointing. In order to cover all the bases I will cite two passages that apply to both of these definitions, anointed king and king poured out as a sacrifice.

2). The first is a series of citations reflecting the idea of the Messiah as the anointed King.

a). Matthew 2:1, 2 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

b). Luke 4:16-21 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

c). Luke 23:38 And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

3). This next citation reflects the King as an offering poured out.

a). Hebrews 10:5-13 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.

3). The setting of the king has already been accomplished in the anointing and pouring out of the Messiah.

4). The above series of citations match and reflect roughly the chronology of the next verse in this Psalm also, as do the other passages, the chronological context is the Church Age.


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print