Psalm 2:7
by Don Costello

Psalm 2:7

I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

1. "I will declare the decree"

a. declare [5608 * caphar] [Strongs: To score with a mark as a tally or record, i.e., by impl., to inscribe, to recount.]

b. decree [2706 * chaq] [Strongs: An enactment, an appointment, (of time, space), commandment, appointed, bound, decree.]

c. In verse 6 the LORD is speaking. In verse 7, the king he has on Zion is speaking.

2. "the LORD hath said unto me, thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee."

a. Twice during the ministry of Jesus, God the Father spoke out of heaven and declared Jesus to be His Son. Once during his baptism and once during his transfiguration.

1). Matthew 3:16, 17 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him
And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

2). Matthew 17:1-8 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,
And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
[verse 5]While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.
And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid.
And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.
And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.

b. Psalm 2:7 is quoted twice in the New Testament; in Acts 13:33 and Hebrews 1:5. The passage in Acts 13:33 is not referring to Christ's resurrection. The King James translators inserted the word "again" into the English translation, but it is not in the Greek text.

1). Acts 13:33 (KJV) "God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee."

2). Interlinear Greek Text: Stephens 1550; George Ricker Berry. "God has fulfilled children their to us, having raised up Jesus; as also in the psalm second it has been written, Son my thou art, I today have begotten thee."

c. Acts 13:33 is speaking of the raising up and establishing of the ministry and Divine purpose of Jesus.

1). Deuteronomy 18:15 "The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken."

2). Deuteronomy 18:18 "I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him."

3). Acts 13:23 "Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus."

d. I am reminded of what the angel Gabriel told Mary when he told her she was chosen by God to conceive and give birth to the Messiah.

1). Luke 1:30-33 "And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favor with God.
And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
He shall be great, and shall be called the Son the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end."

e. Remember also the prophetic moment of the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem. It was prophesied in Zechariah and fulfilled in Jesus.

1). Zechariah 9:9 "Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass."

2). Matthew 21:1-5 "And when they drew nigh unto Jerusalem, and were come to Bethphage, unto the mount of Olives, then sent Jesus two disciples,
Saying unto them, Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall fine an ass tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me.
And if any man say ought unto you, ye shall say, The Lord hath need of them; and straightway he will send them.
All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying,
Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an ass, and a colt the foal of an ass."

f. The sum of Psalm 2:6 & 7 is this: The setting forth of God's choice to be of King of Jerusalem was the birth and ministry of Jesus Christ. Hallelujah! The decree is Jesus is the King of Zion, the King of Jerusalem. But he's not finished yet, the next verse continues the declaration.


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print