Is there not a Prophet
by Bolaji O.Timothy

Three kings were in serious anticipation in the way of the wilderness to locate a direction for their journey and there was no water for them. They were in a critical stage, needed direction and water. Then Jehoshaphat, one of the kings asked "is there no prophet of the Lord in this place that we may inquire of the Lord by him and one of the king of Israel 's servant answered and said here is Elisha the son of shaphat which poured water in the hands of Elijah" I king 3;11. In verse 12, the king confirmed the word of the Lord. There was another situation that required urgent attention of the prophet of the Lord, and he asked similar question.
Several thousand of kings in this our world and their followers are in various cadre of confusions, seeking for directions and water to quench their ever increasing thirst and meet ever available needs in the palace of the world and the question keep sounding passionately Loud, Is there not a prophet with the Lord's word? It is certain that there are many prophets but are they with the words of the Lord! The same king that asked this question, did ask a similar question in 2 chronicle 18:6 when king Ahab gathered his four hundred employed prophets and they gave him "yes answer" but Jehoshaphat was still not satisfied, he perceived something was wrong with their "prophesies" he asked "is there not a prophet of the Lord besides that we might inquire of him ?" this is the kind of question that should be placed on the bill boards in the corner of our streets, highways and denominations and gatherings and where ever men claimed God is worshipped. I think this same must be asked men and women who are laced with tittles and past exploits "are you a prophet of the Lord and is the word of the Lord dwelling in and with you.
Is there not a prophet that may give the anticipating souls of these generation words that may sustain them; words from the Lord that will solve the overwhelming problems that intend to destroy these souls. The anticipated effort of the disciples at sea was just the same and threatening confusion saints are faced with today. If our considerations are in the titles, there are many prophets but the question is how many are with the words of the Lord. I am very sure this will screen down the number drastically. Generation and nations are wandering in the wilderness and darkness for lack of prophets with the words of the Lord is ever increasing.
It is unfortunate that in the king's palace of all generation, there are few solemn truth speakers. The look of these kings might be dangerous and threatening that would make a sincere fellow a stammer. Kingdom and thrones had crumble and great gatherings, groups and denominations scattered because their solace were built and supported by feeble. God had kept his words with few men who dare to submit under his dealings and they will ever be faithful to give accurate prophecies where need be. They must remain silent as long as the Lord is Silent over a matter! These are few anyway because there are many men who are blind folded by the gifts and currency of the king's. The heartfelt of God is shared with few, majority are dwelling in expired glories and dealings, they used to, but no longer in tune with God!
King Jehoshaphat consistently requested for a prophet whom God's words reside with. He knew that the best way to get God committed to your situation; circumstances and problem is to get his words spoken to such situation and if He has given his words, the deal is sealed, the battle is won because it longer yours but belongs to him. Not all acclaimed prophets probably have the tittles printed in their books, labeled in their complementary cards, engraved in their chairs and pulpits or well circulated in their publicity materials and sung in the advertisement jingles, are in tune with God, if they were! There may be many prophets but where is the Lord's prophets with the words of the Lord.
God is so wide! If all the over 6 billion people in the world will be available, He will fill us, and we cannot exhaust his abundant treasures of spiritual virtues and exploits. Moses said, in Number 11:29 "Enviest thou for my sake? Would God that all the LORD'S people were prophets, and that the LORD would put his spirit upon them!" There are so many prophet of baals in our generations and jezebel of covetousness and sins are killing many potential reliable prophets (1King 18:13).Is like many prophets and seer are in deep sleep and their eyes covered to notice the words from the Lord any longer(Isaiah 29:10) or so many people are also canvassing for deception like King Ahab as related in Isaiah 30:10 Why is the words claimed to be of the Lord weak and frail over matter we declared them on? Probably many are prophesying by baals or walk after vanity ( Jeremiah 2:8) this may not but expose us to the frustration that baal prophets experienced in the days of Elijah. I hope the prophets are not wandering about in this confusion also(Jeremiah 4:9) and they must just say anything; putting their devotees into eternal jeopardy or many of the numerous prophets are winds, empty having no divine substance to proclaim. What kind of prophet do we have around, those that make vain out of men or those that speak their visions and ambitions and call them visions from the Lord? Men who prophesy lies and fake dreams and call them the message from the Lord (Jeremiah 23:16); the ichabods, who are operating under the expired glories.


God is not happy about these false prophets that appoint themselves to deceive people, they cannot hear from the Lord yet they mislead men. He is not pleased with this. However it is the responsibility of every one to understand what God's words says about these false and the right prophets that have genuine and up to date dealings with God. It is the responsibility of every one called by the name of the Lord to learn how to recognize the voice of the Lord. Lest anyone come one of these days and proclaim that "Devil is the messiah" with lots of scriptural references and we cannot prove a case. If not for any, but what about our children, sheep that God placed us over, friends that may be tempted to accept false and our relatives that may be lost in this polished confusion and fallacy!


Moses at the border of promised land spoke by the Lord to the pilgrim in Deuteronomy 13:1-3 If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them; Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. In the same book, 18:15 the Lord gave the pattern of the type of the prophets that can come from the Lord. God will not hesitate to put judgment on these wrong prophets who mislead his people. Precious blood was shed for these ones and for gains these lives are deliberately destroyed. Therefore it our responsibility to learn how to recgnise the voice of God about a matter or situation.


Recognizing the voice of the Lord through his prophets.
Firstly a personal dealing beyond church activities is highly necessary. We recognize God's voice when we are familiar with him just as we can easily decode the voices of our parents, husband or wife, children or brothers and sisters, teachers and friends. Relationship is an eye opener into the pattern of life of any one and we get to know this person quiet better when we have rubbed on each other. It is very important that we know him. The knowing of the Lord I speak about is beyond the knowledge of the bible, but the practical application of this knowledge of the bible to relate with God, this give birth to the knowledge of God. Then the fiery dart of the enemy used by false prophets to deceive us can easily be dealt with. It may remain as the letters if all we seek is to read as if we want to get involve with some academic stuff but when our interest is seeking to know who God is, then these letters carry the same potency as when God spoke them and they can perform much more miracles and wonders, even more than what they did when He spoke them then, before documentation.

Recognizing the voice of God start with the willingness to learn about God and follow his instruction.
1. It starts with the initiation of relationship which is not new to what most of us had heard several times. We cannot hear him speak or hear us speak when there is sin within our corridor Psalm 66:18. This is general barricade and hindrance must first be removed to commence a wonderful relationship with father of peace.
2. Communication is highly essential in dealing with our friends. No true friendship is really worth that if there is no means of communication. Praying methods where you speak and he can speak well with you all in the name of Jesus is the recommended pattern of prayer. A moment regular and interactive prayer between you and God will help you establish the relationship. He speaks and wants to speak to you individually without the means of medium. just as a fanny J. Crosby put it


O, the pure delight of a single hour That before Thy throne I spend, When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God, I commune as friend with friend!

3. Consistent searching of the scripture is very impoartant. Large deception we receive from the fake prophets are because most of us are too lazy to search the scripture Luke 5 :39. We think is better we go get the dollars and pounce and throw out some of this notes to the paid prophets so they can represent us before God. If any is a true prophet, his primary responsibility is to bring you closer to God, teach you how to maintain a healthy relationship with God and hear and speak to/with him. You cannot stay a far from home and not be molested; Your peace is in your home and you can assess it without paying; God cannot be bought over. The importance of reading and meditation on the word of God was encouraged in the book of Joshua 1:8. This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
4. You cannot get all of these done if you are hasty, and hate the truth. The beginning of accommodating truth is sincerity and willingness to change when there is a cross against your ways, may be your favority or a product of ignorance. Ahab had all his thoughts encased in evil and will not want to accommodate truth and therefore will not be tolerant to the single speaker of truth over the "conference of yes men" he employed and he eventually lost his life and throne in the positive prophesy he wanted, paid for and these all failed him. If he had loved the truth spoken to him, he could have avoided the disaster.
5. Associate with those who love the words of God and want to learn more of him. Friends you keep, denomination you attend and gathering you go to and counselors you patronize must be seasoned men and women of God who will speak the whole truth and nothing but the truth, even when it is painful. In love they will still get it across to you. Sometimes truth may have to get us bruised, but we have found out that such surgery is necessary and when he (God wounds us, He is healing us). Paul apostle says this. 2 Thessalonians 3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
6. Confirmation of every word with God through the scripture. You endeavor to confirm most especially when a strange person comes to you in a matter in the name of prophesy, learn how to confirm. It is easy if you are in the midst of men and women who are sound with the scripture, your vibrant relationship with God and growing in him to handle this. It may be difficult for some who is an "events worshipers".
7. Lastly, it will not be over statement to say it is a serious issue, because it is a deliberate attempt of satan to deceive and destroy you and God's heritage in you; so it is important to tell you to put on the whole armour of God as listed in Ephesian 6:6-12.

Bolaji

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print