Cause and Effect: A Principle We All Seem to Ignore
by Reid Ashbaucher

As we live our lives in the societies we find ourselves destined to, we all wonder why are things the way they are? Could things be better? Does it have to be this way? The answer may lie with the principle of "cause and effect" which is stated differently depending on how you're looking at it. In science it's a matter of physics. For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. In agriculture if you do not water the crops you will not get anything to grow. If you're a firefighter if you do not cool, remove fuel or smother a fire you will not be successful at putting the fire out. The Bible states it this way: "Now this I say, he who sows sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he who sows bountifully shall also reap bountifully." (2 Corinthians 9:6; NASB) This concept is coupled by another statement which states: "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh shall from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit shall from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we shall reap if we do not grow weary. So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all men, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith." (Galatians 6:7-10; NASB)

So how does this work in life around us? From a personal perspective I found it works like this, if we are consistent in treating our children with love and respect, in most cases we will reap children that return love and respect. If I follow certain hygiene practices, I will in many cases stay healthy. If I abstain from sexual activity outside marriage, I will in most cases not end up with a venereal disease or have the emotional pain of dealing with children outside of wedlock. If I stay faithful to my wife, in most cases I will not have to deal with the pain of divorce or the hurt of my children or even a possibility of financial ruin.

Within our dealing with government it works like this. If I vote or place in office people that are unwise or morally corrupt or someone that has a different point of view from myself on such issues as: right and wrong, good and evil, free markets or community sharing, Democracy vs. Communism vs. Marxism, then the end result will be something different then what I am expecting.

If I believe that hard work and being rewarded for that work is a good thing, and then put people that believe that we should all pool our resources together to help each other, even if many of those in the pool are not contributing anything, the end result will be frustration, disappointment and resentfulness. I am not speaking to the concept of mercy and grace within this paragraph. For it too plays a role in cause and effect.

Yes cause and effect is a big deal and we should be paying more attention to it. If we believe what we do and say has no consequences, then I can understand why many things around us are not working out the way we hoped they would. Cause and effect works like gravity, it works for or against us whether we like it or not. That is the way God designed it and is why the statement is made, "God is not mocked." No matter who you are or what your status in life is, cause and effect works for or against us all, and therefore God's design can never be thwarted, the concept is as eternal as the very nature of God.

So as you live your life, remember whatever you do or say will have consequences either in the short term or over your lifetime and beyond. For the Scriptures also state:

"Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, who will render to every man according to his deeds: to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, but glory and honor and peace to every man who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For there is no partiality with God." (Romans 2:4-12; NASB)

Cause and effect something to think about.

Reid Ashbaucher was born in the United States, and holds a B.A. degree in Comprehensive Bible an M.A. degree in Christian Theology, and is the author of "Made in the Image of God". Permission to reprint article is granted. http://booksite.rcetc.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print