THE HIGHEST CALL
by Anna Ashby-Caison

I used to think that the highest call a woman could have was to be a wife and mother. My role model (and goal) of a perfect wife was the Virtuous Woman of Proverbs 31.

After 24 years of applying the principles of Proverbs 31 my marriage didn't produce children calling me blessed and my husband lifting his voice in praise of his wife; instead it was filled with repeated acts of infidelity and finally, divorce. For a long time I was angry, confused and hurt that the scriptures didn't work for me.

Ten years later, on this past Mother's Day I received a card from one of my daughters with the following quote:
"Let her works bring her praise." Proverbs 31:31

My son lifted his voice in praise before his fianc of the discipline and instruction he received from me as a child.

My youngest daughter praised me before her employers and co-workers as a mother that made their clothes, fixed special meals, looked after the neighborhood kids, and spent time doing arts and crafts and other family activities with her and her siblings.

My nephew called from the county jail to tell me that he loved me, and thanked me for taking in him and his brother when their mother had abandon them. He went on to thank me for teaching him godly morals, disciplining him and feeding him well; and that him being incarcerated wasn't because I failed in caring for him, it was because of his wrong choices.

My eldest daughter called to wish me a Happy Mother's Day and to say that she loved me.

And alas, my ex-husband expressed he didn't know how blessed he was in having me as a wife until after he divorced me.

The Word of God is true. When it is lived and expressed through the life of the believer it does not come back void (Isaiah 55:11).

Today, I know without a doubt, that the highest call a woman can have is to be A CHILD OF THE LIVING GOD.

Anna M. Caison, third (eldest daughter) of eleven children, born in Chicago, Illinois. She is an ordain minister, Preschool Teacher and freelance writer for adults and children.  
www.christmadeknowninme.org

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print