Out Of Sight... Out of Mind!
by Susan Gurney

According to child development expert, Jean Piaget, infants under the age of four months cannot grasp the concept that an object continues to exist even when it is no longer seen. In other words, if you show a very young infant a brightly colored toy and then hide the toy behind a towel, the baby will immediately lose interest and look away. This perfectly illustrates the old adage "out of sight out of mind." On the other hand, a child older than four months will actively try to look for the toy.

As we humans get older it becomes less easy to put things "out of sight out of mind." All those hurtful things said or done to us--even as far back as early childhood--remain as self-esteem destroying chants in our minds: "You (I) can't do anything right!"; "You're (I'm) nothing but a lazy, good-for-nothing!"; "You're (I'm) stupid...clumsy...fat, etc., etc., etc." And then there is the guilt over things we've done that have hurt others or ourselves--and the anger, bitterness and hatred we hold against those who have wronged us. It is already so hard to "forgive" ourselves and others for these wrongs, even with God's help but "forgetting" them is often next to impossible. Sometimes we try to force these things out of our minds--stuff them down inside us--only to find ourselves "blowing up" or "falling apart" at some later time because the memories of those hurts have still been eating away at us at some unconscious level.

I am so glad God does not remember our sins. When He forgives, our "sins are covered"...they are taken as far away "as the east is from the west"...they are hurled "into the depths of the sea." We have Jesus to thank for God's forgetfulness. Jesus' death on the cross cancelled out all our sins, and cleansed us for acceptable entrance into heaven. Each of us have been "justified through faith"...in other words, God views each of my past wrongs--my sins--just as if they never happened! When we do slip and fall--commit sin--all we need to do is ask Him to forgive...and He does! He even forgets the sin, blanking it out completely...as if it never happened. What a relief and joy to know that with God our sins are truly "out of sight...out of mind!"

What does God's Word, the Bible, say about this?

Psalm 32:1 "Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered." NIV

Psalm 103:12 "...as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us."

Jeremiah 31:34b "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more." NIV

Micah 7:19 "You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea." NIV

John 1:29b "'Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!'" NIV

Romans 5:1 "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." NIV

Now read the following Bible passages in your favorite version of the Bible:

Psalm 32:1-2 and 103:8-18
Jeremiah 31:33-34
Micah 7:18-19
John 1:29
Romans 4:24 6:18

Susan Gurney writes devotionals, poetry, short stories, memoirs, and nonfiction on family history, faith and nature. She has experience writing/editing church and family newsletters. Find Susan at http://ssimonsgurney.christianblogsites.com/blog/      Copyright 2013 Susan Simons Gurney

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print