Letting Go of the Kite Strings, or "How to Soar With the Hang-gliders!"
by Susan Gurney

As I walked on the beach between rain squalls one June day a few years ago, I watched with interest a lone man on the beach trying repeatedly--but unsuccessfully--to get a small kite into the air. As my eyes traveled upwards toward the threatening clouds above, I nearly laughed aloud. Several hundred feet directly over the head of the would-be kite flyer, circled a large manned "kite"--the hang-glider pilot's ease of flight clearly mocking the earthbound kite flyer's inability to do the same! As the hang-glider continued to ride a high stable updraft, making lazy circles above, the frustrated kite flyer gave a shrug and packed it in for the day. What a contrast of image, action and outcome!

I wonder how often we Christians get tied down and earthbound by the kite strings of our old former conduct and life, when God really wants us to leave all that behind and "mount up with wings"...like hang-gliders?!

As Paul says in Ephesians 4:22-24: "You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness." NIV

Sometimes we are guilty of holding fast to something in our past rather than taking the leap of trust and faith that God wants for us here and now. Sometimes that thing in my past that holds me down may not even be anything evil in itself--it may just be something "safe" in its familiarity. I hang on to the "kite string" connection to the past with a death grip, even though I am obviously never going to get off the ground spiritually because of that connection. If my stubborn grip on the past or some part of my past causes me to fail to do what God wants me to do here and now--if it causes me to disobey God's present direction for my life--then that is sin at its most elemental level.

There is a "season for every activity under heaven." Perhaps now is the time for each of us to examine ourselves and see if and why we are not soaring like eagles in God's strength and will. Perhaps it is time to "let go of the kite strings" and "soar with the hang-gliders!"

What does God's Word, the Bible, say about this?

Ecclesiastes 3:1, 6 "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: ...a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away"

Isaiah 40:31 "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." NIV

Matthew 6:20-21 "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." NIV

Philippians 3:14 "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." NIV

Colossians 3:2 "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things."

Now read the following Bible passages in your favorite version of the Bible:

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
Isaiah 40:31
Matthew 6:19-21
Ephesians 4:17-24
Philippians 3:14
Colossians 3:1-2

Susan Gurney writes devotionals, poetry, short stories, memoirs, and nonfiction on family history, faith and nature. She has experience writing/editing church and family newsletters. Find Susan at http://ssimonsgurney.christianblogsites.com/blog/      Copyright 2013 Susan Simons Gurney

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print