The Everlasting "A" and "Z"!
by Susan Gurney

We humans are always facing beginnings and endings. The beginning of each new school year also marks the end of summer vacation. The end of high school or college may mean the beginning of a lifetime career. Marriage ends single life for the two persons involved, but also begins a new life as a united couple. The birth of a child marks the beginning of life outside the womb, but also ends a mother's nine month pregnancy. Even the spiritual realm has its own set of beginnings and endings. Repentance ends a sinful wayward life and begins a new righteous life in Christ. And for the Christian, at least, death may mean the end of life in this world, but it begins eternal life with God in Heaven!

When Jesus says, "I am the Alpha and Omega" in the book of Revelation, He is saying, "I am the Letter 'A' as well as the letter 'Z'." "I am the First and the Last." "I am the Beginning and the End." "I started it all, and I'm going to finish it all." In that brief phrase He is also saying: "I was there before anything was made; I was there when you were formed in your mother's womb; I'm with you now wherever you are; I'll be there when you take your final breath...and I'll be with you throughout eternity!" Just think about that! What person on this earth can make those same statements? No one! What person can you truly trust to always be there for you, no matter what? No one! Even the most loving parent, spouse, or child will ultimately disappoint you...by dying and leaving you alone, if in no other way.

Jesus was with His Father God at the creation of the world, and though He died for our sins when He was on earth in human form, He also rose from death to live forever. Jesus can't die again. He defeated death! He will never forsake us...He will never disappoint us...He will never leave us! Jesus is everlasting!

During all the beginnings and endings of my life I have the assurance that Jesus, the "Alpha and Omega"--the everlasting "A" and "Z"--will always be with me. Do you have that assurance? If not, first ask Jesus to forgive your sins. Then welcome Him into your heart as Savior and Lord so that you, too, can know the comfort of having the "everlasting arms" of the "everlasting Father" our "eternal king"cradled beneath you!

What does God's Word, the Bible, say about this?

Genesis 1:1a "In the beginning God..."

Deuteronomy 33:27a "The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the
everlasting arms." NIV

Isaiah 9:6b "And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." NIV

Isaiah 40:28 "Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom." NIV

Jeremiah 10:10a "But the Lord is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King." NIV

John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." NIV

Revelation 1:8 "'I am the Alpha and the Omega,' says the Lord God, 'who is, and who was, and who is to come, the
Almighty.'" NIV

Now read the following Bible passages in your favorite version of the Bible:

Genesis 1:1
Deuteronomy 33:27
Job 42:1-2
Psalm 139: 13-18
Isaiah 9:6-7; 26:4; and 40:21-28
Isaiah 54:7-10
Jeremiah 10:10-13
John 1:1-5, 10-15
Revelation 1:8 & 21:1-7

Susan Gurney writes devotionals, poetry, short stories, memoirs, and nonfiction on family history, faith and nature. She has experience writing/editing church and family newsletters. Find Susan at http://ssimonsgurney.christianblogsites.com/blog/      Copyright 2013 Susan Simons Gurney

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print