Adopting The Mind of God
by Susan Gurney

Read Matthew 16:21-23

"Jesus... said to Peter, '...you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.'" Matthew 16:23 (NIV)

About thirteen years ago when my husband first asked me, "Would you consider adopting a child?"--I'm afraid I discounted it as his impulsive whim. After Mike brought up adoption several more times, I realized he was serious.

Instead of asking God's opinion, I listed off to my husband--and to God--all my very logical reasons (excuses!) why it would not work for us to adopt a child. At age 48 we were both too old; I had just gone back to work as a preschool teacher; it would cause too much disruption in our settled lives; our general health was not that good; and so on.

My husband dropped the subject, but God didn't. That year my small preschool class included not only two children in foster care, but also two others who were adopted! God used my circumstances to help me see what He had in mind for my life. After much prayer I finally said "yes" to God, and through an amazing series of events we became the joyful parents of our then eight year old step-niece.

PRAYER: Thank you, Lord, that Your ways are higher, better, and more "logical" than our ways. Help us to see that you are truly the God of amazing possibilities. Amen.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: We need to surrender our wills to God's will.

Susan Gurney writes devotionals, poetry, short stories, memoirs, and nonfiction on family history, faith and nature. She has experience writing/editing church and family newsletters. Find Susan at http://ssimonsgurney.christianblogsites.com/blog/      Copyright 2013 Susan Simons Gurney

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print