A Living Church!
by Susan Gurney

Read Isaiah 62:1-12

"No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate." Isaiah 62:4 (NIV)

In the small church I attended for many years we suddenly found ourselves with many babies and toddlers in attendance. It was not uncommon to see a little one scamper up the aisle during worship service, or to have someone "adopt" another's infant while "mom" was singing in the choir. Once the song leader even had her stroller on the platform, jiggling her baby to sleep in time to the choruses she was leading. If having many children in attendance was the sign of a living, growing church, then ours was healthy indeed!

Less than five years before, this had been a church struggling to stay alive with only a handful of children in the midst of a very small older adult congregation. With growth there was certainly more noise and untidiness, but what a joy it was to see all the babies in church and to know that they would soon be joining their numerous older siblings in Sunday School classrooms overflowing with busy activities.

In a like manner, what a joy it is to know that when I feel deserted God fills my empty cup to overflowing!

PRAYER: Dear Lord, help us to remember when we feel deserted and alone in our struggle to survive, that our hope and joy always lies in the abundance of Your loving mercy. Amen.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: God grows a living church!

Susan Gurney writes devotionals, poetry, short stories, memoirs, and nonfiction on family history, faith and nature. She has experience writing/editing church and family newsletters. Find Susan at http://ssimonsgurney.christianblogsites.com/blog/      Copyright 2013 Susan Simons Gurney

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print