Unreleased Anger
by Susan Gurney

Read James 1:19-27

"--Anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." James 1:20 (NIV)

I could not forget the incident. I thought I had forgiven him. I had even written to him to say I forgave him, but still I replayed the details in my mind, thinking, "How could he have done and said all those awful things to us when we had only tried to help him?!"

Finally, without even being aware it was happening, the anger took its toll. I actually found myself plotting ways to get even--things I would say or write to him or his friends to hurt him. Even though I did not actually carry out my plans, the damage was done--to myself! I found myself obsessed, depressed, and completely unable to write the monthly devotional for our church newsletter.

Then it hit me. By listening only to my own angry litany, I had completely drowned out what God wanted to say to me and to others through me! I asked God's forgiveness and then took the next step: consciously and deliberately surrendering my anger to Him.

PRAYER: Help us to surrender our anger to you, Lord, as quickly as it arises. Let us not allow rage and unforgiveness block our relationship with you, or keep us from serving others in your name. Amen.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Unreleased anger deafens us to God.

Susan Gurney writes devotionals, poetry, short stories, memoirs, and nonfiction on family history, faith and nature. She has experience writing/editing church and family newsletters. Find Susan at http://ssimonsgurney.christianblogsites.com/blog/      Copyright 2013 Susan Simons Gurney

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print