Great And Humble Wisdom Forgotten
by Olawale Ogunsola

In the book of the preacher, Ecclesiastes, chapter number nine, from verses thirteen to eighteen, there is a story of a wise man who delivered his city but was not remembered. His city where he dwelt was a little one that a great king came against and besieged. That king built great snares around the little city.
The man applied his God-given wisdom and delivered the city.

One sad aspect of the story is that the man was forgotten. That is mankind for you!

However, let us consider seven good things about the man and his deeds:

One, the poor man was resident in that little city. He was found there as a dweller. He did not keep his wisdom to himself; he applied it. By so doing, he delivered his own soul. He was the first beneficiary of the wisdom for deliverance.

Proverbs 9:12 states, " If you are wise, you are wise for
yourself,
And if you scoff, you will bear it
alone" New King James Version (NKJV).

This means that "If you become wise, then you have become wise for your own good. But if you become proud and make fun of people, then only you are to blame for your trouble." easy -to-read-version.

Two, the poor wise man had his few things in that small city. It may not be possible to take anything out if he purposed to do so. By applying his great and humble wisdom, he saved the few items he owned. They were not taken away or destroyed by the great king. He was able to preserve them.

Three, it is not on record the number of people living with him in his house. Assuming he had a wife and a few children, he had delivered them from destruction. Remember, the story of Rahab, an harlot in Joshua chapter two. She saved herself, father, mother, sisters and brothers when the children of Israel were destroying Jericho because she first protected the spies that were sent to see the land. Rahab had no husband or children but saved those members of her father's household. The poor wise man did this also by his own wisdom.

Four, he delivered himself and his household not only from death but also from being carried into captivity. They were not taken into servitude in a strange land. They remained in their own land.

Five, he saved the whole city. His humble and mighty wisdom saved the small city from destruction and being carried away into captivity. The poor man really fulfilled the royal law according to the Scripture, "You love your neighbor as yourself,"
He did well according to James 2:8 The Bible has this good deed recorded for him.

Note that "Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy." Matthew 5:7.
For the man's mercy to all the inhabitants of the little city, he was blessed before God and was qualified to receive mercy.

Six, although the poor wise man was forgotten by his people, it is on record on the earth, that is why we read it today and learn lessons from his story, and in heaven where he finally withdrew to, like any mortal man.

James 2;3 discloses, "Listen my beloved brethren; Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs
of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called sons of
God." Matthew 5;9.

Seven, one day, he may be remembered and honored. His case may end like that of Mordecai in Esther chapter six. This poor gate keeper in the land of captivity, who by wisdom, saved King Ahasuerus' life.

He was forgotten for a season.

One night the king could not sleep and ordered for the book of the records of the chronicles. The forgotten acts of Mordecai was read and he was honored for it, Esther 6;1-11,

Not only that, the seed of the poor man after him could have direct benefits of their father's mighty wisdom that saved that little city.

*Value of his being forgotten.
Do you know that forgetting the wise poor man has a great value? It might be God's design to keep him close to Himself.

James 2;6-7 reveals, "But you have dishonoured the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts?
Do they not blasphemy that noble name by which you are called?"

It could be God's grand design for the poor wise man not to join the group of the rich to do like them.

Note this also about the acts of God, "But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty, and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence." I Corinthians 27-29.

Therefore, the wise poor man may be forgotten by man, Jesus Christ did not seek glory from mankind. The poor wise man (and all of us) should be content with "He who glories, let him glory in the Lord, "I Corinthians 1;31.

The Author is the set man of CTFM(WORLD OUTREACH)and Presiding Pastor of Christ Restland Gospel Church.He is a Poet and author of many books. Visit his blogsites www.4thlink.wordpress.com and www.peacelink.wordpress.com for more quality contents.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print