Reboot All You Want ... God's Plan Keeps Going
by Janet Eriksson

Scripture Verse

A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9 (NKJV)

Meditation

I was working on a very important project at a remote location. (The beauty of laptops and wi-fi.) Mid-project, I had to move to another location. I had waited till the last minute to leave, which is why my computer chose that moment to tell me it was making 14 updates and not to shut down. Update number 7 seemed to take forever. I didn't know what would happen if I did shut down, but finally had to take my chances.

When I arrived at the next location, I opened my laptop to see what had transpired. It was in hibernation, so as far as the laptop was concerned, the updating continued. I sat in agony, needing to open my files but unable to get past the updating screen.

I started to wonder could the computer even continue to update, now that I was at a different wi-fi spot? Was it stuck? Would I ever know? How in the world could I get to my files and start working, if it continued like this?

Impatiently, I tried to shut down the computer manually in as many ways as I could think of. When I restarted it, despite all the shut downs I'd tried, the updating screen was still there. Ugh! At that point, I started to worry that I had killed the computer, and that I'd never get past the updating screen to retrieve my files.

Just when things began to feel really bleak, I saw the number 7 switch to 8. Relief (that it was still updating, despite all my efforts to kill it) washed into amusement (that the number 8 is the biblical number of new beginnings), which washed into humility at the message God was sending me.

You see, despite everything I had done to override the process, to stop it, to kill it, followed by worry that I had in fact killed it, not to mention that I had switched locations to the other side of town the computer kept running the same program it intended to run from the beginning.

Isn't that exactly how God works in our lives? We can plan and poke and prod and try anything we like. But God has a plan for us, and His plan stays in motion, no matter what we do. He continues to draw us toward the life He has prepared for us, and the identity He has given us. He doesn't deprive us of free will we can prod and poke at will. But His plan continues. If we're willing to submit, He continues right on to have His way with us, no matter what we've done.

Calmly, the computer finished its 14 updates, as if I had done nothing to interfere with its plan. Then it rebooted on its own, and gave me a gentle warning reminder "Configuring updates, do not shut down" followed by a warm "Welcome."

Prayer

God, thank You that no matter what we do to get in the way of Your best plan for us, You keep right on going. Help us to submit to You, so that Your best plan for us will be fulfilled. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Thought for the Day

Take a moment today to rest from your striving and to remember God's plan is the best one for your life.


Copyright 2020 by Janet Eriksson at adventureswithgod.blog. Janet is an intercessor, writer, and teacher in Dahlonega, Georgia. She loves conversation with friends, front porch swings, sweet tea, and spending time on lakes and rivers. Janet received her M. Div. at Asbury Theological Seminary.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print