Understanding The Meaning Of The Love Of God
by Ngozi Nwoke

What is the love of God all about? How will you know if you are actually walking in the love of the Lord? The expression of God's love in you defines your level of Christianity, but you can only express what you understand. This article is to help you with your understanding of the meaning of the love of God.

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away - 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 (NKJV)

The word 'love' is so commonly used that even some Christians can't differentiate the love of God from other types of love. God's love is the Agape love (unconditional love), totally different from human love (Philos or Eros). It is divine and so has its source from God.

Understanding the meaning of Agape love will help you assess your walk of love and ultimately your stand with God. So, what is Love?

Love is God

God is love (1 John 4:8) and so love is God. If you know God, then you will love with the love of God. To know God is to walk in love. The closer your relationship with God, the more you'll live a life of unconditional love.

When you study the scriptures, you will discover that every action of God is driven by love. For example, God created woman for man out of love. God watched Adam and saw how lonely he was, the animals and birds could not fill the emptiness around and in him. God saw that it was not good for man to be alone (Genesis 2:18) and so He made Eve for Adam.

God crowned His love for man by giving His only son for mankind, (John 3:16). Christ went to the cross because of His love for God the father and mankind. On the cross, God forsook His only son because of His desire to restore to man all that he lost at the fall of man, fully driven by His affection. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life.

Love is obedience to God

If you have the love of God operating your life, you will obey His words, (John 14:15-30). He who does not love God will not obey His commands. Many people know what God's word says concerning many issues but the question is "how good are they in keeping them?"

Jesus said, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word... " (John 14:23, NKJV). So, do you love Jesus? Now, surely you and God know the correct answer.

You may ask me now, what were the words Jesus was talking about? Jesus was talking about all that God had written in the bible and every command He gives you personally. This calls for a diligent study of the scriptures to know the will of God. Remember ignorance is no more an excuse, Acts 17:30-31

Love is as defined in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

The above scripture gives God's definition of Himself. Interpreting the scripture, love is unconditional in nature. The bible (Romans 5:8) tells us that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us - that is unconditional love. It does not focus on what it should get in return but on what it can give and be a blessing. It is not selfish and doesn't keep record of wrongs done to it. It has no limit or deadline when it will cease towards anyone.

Love forgives and forgets and it knows no colour, race or nationality. It loves everyone and thinks no evil of anyone. Every other thing may fail but it never fails. It will make you go the extra mile to remain obedient to God.

It is the love of God that will make you to help the person who killed your relative or caused your downfall. You will be able to love the un-lovable. It does not hold on to its right. It is peaceful and pursues peace.

Love of God is attainable

Understanding the meaning of God's love makes it easy for you apply. Love is shed by the Holy Spirit in your heart (Romans 5:5) and not in your head, so allow your heart to lead you and not your head. When you decide to walk in love and seek the help of God, the grace to walk in it is released to you. You will grow in it as you practice it. And if you miss it, don't be discouraged, repent and go on.

In conclusion, walking in love is living the life of Christ. It pays to love with the love of God. God has commanded His children to love even as He had loved them. And God will never ask you to do what He wouldn't do. So make up your mind to make walking in love your quest. I have done that and I hope you will do so too, today if you haven't.

Ngozi Nwoke is a teacher, speaker, counselor and author of "Peace Money Can't Buy" and "The Man Jesus: What You Need to Know About Christ". She has a passion to teach people how to enjoy peace, God's love, and Christian living for a more fulfilling life. Want a more fulfilling life? 

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print