Cancer of the Christian Soul
by Michaelle Bragassa-Holman

A favorite pastime in this world is gossiping. What is gossip anyways? It's idle talk, or spreading rumors, about the personal or private affairs of others. It is a widespread epidemic that we often take part in. The sad reality is that it often results in hurting others, by destroying relationships and creating conflict in the lives of the victims. A good way to judge if you are partaking in gossip, is to realize that if you aren't part of the problem or the solution, its gossip. What does that mean? It means that if you are not in the equation, then you need to keep your thoughts and feelings about it to yourself.

The Bible teaches us about this destructive behavior. The bible states in Proverbs 11, that a man who lacks judgment derides his neighbor, but a man of understanding holds his tongue. A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret. It goes on to say that a perverse man stirs up dissension, and a gossip separates close friends. (Proverbs 16:28). It doesn't take much to start a rumor, or to carry a tail about a friend or relative. Many people don't realize the damage that such a senseless act can do. Friendships and marriages, have been ruined over such behavior. The offending party never realized that their behavior created trouble, caused undue anger, and resulted in heartbreak among friends.

"A fool's mouth is his undoing, and his lips are a snare to his soul. The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts" (Proverbs 18:7-8). In the course of our lives, we find people who thrive on gossip. It's in our churches, our homes, our schools, as well as many other facets of our lives. The people who carry the gossip often deny any allegations of wrong doing, by trying to rationalize with excuses or blame it on the victims.

Just like cancer kills our bodies, gossip kills our testimony. We are to be Christ-like in our behavior. Christ never took part in gossip, and he never approves of us doing so regardless of our excuses. Instead of us taking pokers to our families, our neighbors, our friends, and our churches, we should strive to build each other. It is vital that we refrain from gossip, it is a sin. In order to avoid gossip, spend your time creating helpful and encouraging advice for others. Another great way to prevent gossip is to let it stop with you. Remember, gossip is a two way street, it's vital to make sure you're the dead end.

May God Bless and Keep us all in his Embrace


Our lives our made up of so much in this world today, that we often forget to take the time to do the things we love. My entire life has been filled with both the love I have for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and writing.  
http://www.livingwaterfromthewell.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print