God's Love for us is Truly Awesome
by Dr. Henderson Ward

People with small minds cannot see why God is so very interested in small things, they fail to appreciate that small things are of great moment with Almighty God because he is justly proud of every jot and tittle of his creation. Little minds are incapable of conceiving great things but great minds can conceive small things and it is in the small details that the greatest mind of all shows his awesome powers.

Take for example this awesome scripture:

"Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows." (Luke 12:6-7)

Awesome thought number 1: Every hair on your head is numbered. Something that even the most intimate check by the most sophisticated machine cannot presently do is already known to Almighty God. Who would have thought that God could be so meticulous as to count the very hairs on your head?

Awesome thought number 2: Those tiny birds called sparrows, and I think sparrows are used here to represent those piffling things that people regard as of no consequence, are significant to God and has a value we cannot see or appreciate.

This is one of the many reasons God is so awesome since he sees value where we see none. But this awesomeness does not stop here for something more magnificent takes place.

Awesome thought number 3: These sparrows, these tiny birds that no man can number, are so much a fixture of God's consciousness that not a single one falls to the ground, is injured or made desolate without God knowing it or allows it. How many times we allow our vehicles to run over animals and birds and scarcely give them a second thought? I suppose we are all guilty and this contrast greatly with the sentiments of Almighty God.

I like very much how John Gill in his Bible Commentary comments on Luke 12:6.

"...and not one of them is forgotten before God; a single sparrow, a bird of little value and worth, is taken notice and care of by him; it has its life from him, and is provided for with food by him, and is under his protection; nor does he ever forget it, nor can anything be done to it, without his permission; it cannot be struck, so as to cause it to fall on the ground, or be taken in a snare, or be killed in any shape, without the knowledge of God: his providence reaches to the minutest creatures and things, and much more then to rational creatures, to men; and still more to his dear children, ministers, and apostles."

There are those who tells us that God is not in touch with his creation, that he created it and withdrew from it and has left it to its own designs and destiny. How very wrong these deist are. The very opposite is true for God is manifestly present in this world and is very concerned with even the minutest, trivial detail and we should always be conscious of that.

God cares intimately for all his creation, even trivial things like sparrows falling to the ground, and people need to understand this and appreciate how awesome this really is. Because he cares, he looks on and notes all that is happening whether its good or bad.

"The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good." (Proverbs 15:3)

"Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do." (Hebrews 4:13)

"Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD." (Jeremiah 23:24)

Whilst God sees and notes everything about his creation, and his care through providence is universal, he cares even more so for all believers for they have become his children by their deliberate choice.

The Bible tells us this:

"For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil." (1 Peter 3:12)

This tells us that just like a proud parent looking out for his youngster in the park so God is looking out for his children and their smallest cry registers with him and alerts him, and he will answer them in appropriate fashion and in a timely manner and no one can stop him from giving assistance and deliverance as he thinks fit for he is all powerful and no man can withstand him.

This is so and shows how awesome his love really is.

Many times believers withstand mighty blows and enormous challenges and claim victory over them only to be defeated by small things. Just like mighty dams can withstand earthquakes and typhoons and storms and emerge unscathed only to become a cropper through a tiny hole in its base.

Small things can be mighty destructive and the Bible puts us on our guard like this:

"Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes." (Song of Solomon 2:15)

Here Solomon is alluding to small things that are deadly, carry infection and are toxic and so a careful watch is in order. Sometimes because things are tiny we do not see them as we should and we do not take the necessary precaution.

Here is Jesus Christ alluding to a small thing that is a spiritual killer:

"And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod." (Mark 8:15)
Here Jesus was referring to the odious doctrines and lectures of the Pharisees that if listened to and followed would surely lead to darkness and damnation because these leaders were not worshipping God in spirit and in truth.

The Apostle Paul knew that this bit of leaven had a huge debilitating effect and so wrote:

"A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump." (Galatians 5:9)

So what are these small things that God in his awesome love and care for us want us to be aware of, and to be on our guard against?

The offence of non-appreciation.

No you will not find this one in the Bible but it is there staring you in the face. Believers tend to take God for granted as if he is bound to do all these marvellous things for us day after day. Good health, a good income, a proper home, sufficient food and the list goes on. Real appreciation lay in understanding that these things need not be ours save but for the grace of God. Appreciating God in his fullness and his graciousness towards us must be deep and genuine for he deserves no less and it's our duty. The Bible tells us this:

"In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

"O give thanks unto the LORD; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people." (Psalm 105:1)

"And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan. And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?" (Luke 17:15-17)

The transgression of selfishness

The truth may very well be that all you possess you earned by the sweat of your brow and it is yours to do as you wish. Sometimes believers become smug and self-satisfied and do not see that others are hurting. Praying for the less fortunate is good but does not go far enough for to tell someone who is hungry that God will provide is no help to that person, but putting a little something in his hand so that he may buy a cup of coffee or tea goes a long way. Even if you are poor, reaching out with love to help someone even poorer is the essence of true faith. Believers need to remember what Jesus said, "...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Matthew 25:40

The transgression of pomposity

Sometimes believers allow their superior education and skills to puff them up and see themselves as better than the next and worthy of higher respect and honour. In truth this is the very transgression for which the Pharisees were famous. This is what the Apostle Paul called vainglory as mentioned here, 'Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another. (Galatians 5:26) John Gill in his Bible Commentary comments on this verse like this:

"...Ambitious of being thought wiser, and richer, and more valuable than others; of having the pre-eminence in the management of all affairs, and of having honour, esteem, and popular applause from men: this may well be called vain glory, since it is only in outward things, as wisdom, riches, strength, and honour, and not in God the giver of them, and who can easily take them away; and therefore is but for a time, and is quickly gone, and lies only in the opinion and breath of men."

You will note that these failures are indeed little as compared with the more serious offenses as mentioned throughout the Bible, like adultery, fornication, idolatry, witchcraft, etc., but because God's love for us is awesome he wants to be perfect in his love.

Believers take heart that things mighty or small cannot deny us a place in this awesome love of Almighty God for he knows how to make us more than conquerors through Christ.

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us." (Romans 8:35-37)

Enough said.

Books by this author (non-fiction except indicated otherwise)

E-books Published by Amazon.com
If you do not have a Kindle then when you access the site, click on How Buying Works and you will see the FREE apps for Computer, Cell phone, etc Then click as appropriate.

THINGS EVERY CHRISTIAN SHOULD KNOW (e-book)
Volume 1 Five tough facts to be faced
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YX5NSI

STAND UP TO THE DEVIL (e-book)
Volume 1 You must first identify him
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BQVLSS

BASTARD: A STORY OF REDEMPTION(e-book fiction)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OF3SD6

ONE MINUTE TO MIDNIGHT ON GOD'S CLOCK (Hard copy)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002X78D16

ONE MINUTE TO MIDNIGHT ON GOD'S CLOCK (e-book)
http://tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=978-1-60799-630-9

Dr. Henderson Ward received his Doctor of Divinity in theology, with distinction, from Masters International School of Divinity, USA, where he is currently a post-doctoral fellow. Dr. Ward's career involved pastoring, evangelism, and teaching. Copyright 2017

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print