Psalm 110:2
by Don Costello

Psalm 110:2

The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies.

1. "The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion"

a. The "rod of thy strength" is referring to his authority sent out of Zion, for the New Covenant saints. This authority is not to be confused with the authority or "power over the nations" that will be given to those in Revelation 2:26, whom Jesus deems faithful, that authority is referred to as "a rod of iron". The rod of thy [Jesus'] strength is the authority Jesus spoke of in Matthew 28:18-20 and Mark 16:15-18 and the Apostle Paul wrote of through out the New Testament.

1). Matthew 28:18-20 "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world."

2). Mark 16:15-20 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.
3). It is also the power of the Holy Ghost that Jesus commanded his disciples to wait for in Jerusalem.

a). Luke 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

b). Acts 1:4, 5 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

b. Now in the New Covenant period we do not rule over nations, we are to pray for and be in subjection to the governments and rulers of the nations.

1). Romans 13:1-5 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.

c. But during the Millennial kingdom after Jesus has come back, some of the rewards given to faithful saints will be power over the nations.

1). Revelation 2:26, 27 "And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father."

2. "rule thou in the midst of thine enemies."

a. There are no enemies in heaven. The LORD was speaking to His Son and the flesh and bone body of his son [the Church] positionally seated in Christ next to the Father, but physically is on the earth, and telling them to rule with the authority given to them over their enemies.

b. Our enemies are wicked spirits.

1). Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

2). We have been given authority over all wicked spirits and every name that is named. We are to rule over them.

a). Ephesians 1:15-23 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

c. We are to rule in our lives over our circumstances, over sin and over our enemies through the grace of God.

1). Romans 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

2). Roman 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

3). Roman 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

4). 1 Corinthians 4:8 Now ye are full, now ye are rich, ye have reigned as kings without us: and I would to God ye did reign, that we also might reign with you.


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print