The Art of Casting
by Rev. Brian Mathis

When we look at this word casting the first thing that comes to my mind is the use of it in fishing which is to throw a line or a net. Others might look at it and thing about forming something as if to cast a mold to make something. In scripture we see it used in both forms and one more that is similar to the first and that is to throw something. Me personally I love to fish so when I think about this word and what it means to me my reference stems from learning to cast a rod and real or casting a seine net for the first time. In fishing when someone casts out a net or a line the desire is too real it back in with something either on the hook or in the net. So this morning I woke thinking about this scripture:

22 Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved. Psalms 55:22 (ESV)



We find this passage of scripture tucked away in a plea from David to God for deliverance from his enemies. It struck me this morning though that often we don't understand there is an art to casting. I believe David knew this art; those who fish can relate to this. You just don't pull back and throw to catch something you often have to aim for a particular spot. I love to trout fish often when trout fishing you are fishing in tight places and the fish are laying only feet away from you. However, to get a trout to bite it is often more about presentation than the bait you use. Often you must cast up stream and allow the current to take it to the fish. It's in the waiting on the power of the river to move your line that you are able to catch what you are seeking.



In 1Peter 5 we see this same idea presented to the believers and to us today.



6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6-7 (ESV)





Peter gives us an instruction about casting as he tells us to cast our cares or our worries on God. We must do it with a humble heart. Humility does not demand a response just as I cannot make a fish bite the hook and line I present before it. Nothing you and I can do makes God respond to our desires. Most often when we turn to God and cast our cares upon Him it is when we are desperate for an answer. We come in demanding something be done; yes I understand emergencies arise and we go before God in those times. However, the interesting part about fishing is that to really catch fish you need to know where they are. It's the same with God, does our daily walk help us to know Him. As kids in upstate South Carolina we fished this same section of the Chuaga River, it stretched from Cassidy Bridge Rd. to Spider Valley all told it's about a seven mile stretch of river if memory serves correctly. Back then my brothers and I would get dropped off at the one end and fish our way down to the other and then walk home. They were long days but memorable days. However, I believe even today I can probably take you to those spots were if you cast a line you will catch a fish. That is how well I know that section of the river.



If we are going to cast our cares on God who is more powerful than any river and expect him to yield His glory and mercies to us don't we need to know how to cast them. Casting is an art it requires both practice and preparation you just don't pull back and through you have to know your equipment and the area your fishing. We must know God through His Word and be in relationship with Him when we cast our cares upon Him; if we truly expect to receive from God what we ask. I challenge you take time to walk in His word so when you cast your cares upon Him the waters are familiar and you will catch what you desire. Have a blessed day as you walk in the light of God's Word.


Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print