WIN! God Doesn't Make Sense
by Shirley Carr

YOU HAVE EVERYTHING INSIDE OF YOU TO WIN! Are you sick of hearing those words without a map for HOW, a navigation system for WHERE, or a smart phone app for WHEN? Consider Skylar Kierra Diggins, third pick for the 2013 WNBA draft. While she may not appear how you expect her to, she was chosen. Not only was she chosen; there's more behind her beauty, brilliance, and boldness than you would know. She is literally "changing the game", as a star basketball player.

Skylar Kierra Diggins is nicked named "Sky" and she has proven that the sky is not the limit! In the Notre Dame Women's Basketball biographies she is noted as an exceptional leader who has a remarkable ability to raise not only her own play, but those around her. Sky is well-known for having energy, passion and intensity. She thrives in pressure situations and maintains poise, maturity and creativity. Sky has the keen ability to often see the game several plays ahead of her competition. She is known as an exceptional perimeter scorer. Her speed and uncanny ability to get into the paint and break apart opposing defenses sets her apart. Sky is a superb player with outstanding passing skills and court vision that creates numerous opportunities for teammates, while her long arms and aggressive style on defense make her an invaluable contributor, especially in traps and presses. She upholds an outstanding work ethic. Sky is never satisfied with her performance and always striving for ways to improve.

Sky's career has been marked with honors and awards. She was awarded and honored as the 2009 South Bend Tribune Girls' Athlete of the Year (covers all female high school athletes in all sports throughout newspaper's coverage area), 2009 Indiana Miss Basketball, Two-time MaxPreps Indiana Player of the Year/first-team All-American (2008 and 2009), Two-time Gatorade Indiana Player of the Year (2008 and 2009), USA Today All-Underclass Team (2006), USA Today All-USA Team (first team 2009; third team 2008), Three-time high school All-American by EA Sports (first team 2008 and 2009; second team 2007), Three-time high school All-American by Parade magazine (first team 2008 and 2009; third team 2007), 2009 consensus Naismith Prep Player of the Year, earning top honors from Gatorade, Atlanta Tipoff Club (Naismith Trophy), ESPN Hoopgurlz and MaxPreps, Associated Press All-American Third Team (2011), Associated Press All-American First Team (2012, 2013), and Big East Player of the year (2012, 2013). In April she was the third pick for the 2013 WNBA draft and she now is a teammate of the Tulsa Shock.

The documentaries of her life often share the victories, honors, and awards of her career. Nevertheless, there were some setbacks, failures, and defeats but we never read the details. We never read the details to how Sky trained by lifting weights, running up and down the court, or how she handled injuries. We never hear the details of how she studied so that she could pass her classes with exceptional grades. We never hear how often she was stressed about passing an assignment right before it was time for her to play major opponents on the court. We never hear about the many distractions that comes from her being an extraordinarily gifted player. We never read the details on how many times she was tempted not to go to training or not to follow a strict regiment for the game. We never gain full access to see how she handles the pressure of people hoping that she fail or how she handle romantic relationships as a star women athlete. We never gain the details of how she handled the change in teams and leadership.

The documentaries never share the details of how she practiced, studied, and handled changes. Sometimes the changes of life will cause you to question or doubt what you know to be true. Sometimes you may feel that your caring actions had drowned. Sometimes you may feel like you were bound on the sideline of frustration. Sometimes you may feel defeated and make vows like, "never again." Changes often challenge us in the area of focus, energy, creativity, empathy, and the notion to "try it one more time". We never read the details to how Sky trained by lifting weights, running up and down the court, or how she handled injuries. We never hear the details of how she studied so that she could pass her classes with exceptional grades. We never hear how often she was stressed about passing an assignment right before it was time for her to play major opponents on the court. We never hear about the many distractions that comes from her being an extraordinarily gifted player. We never read the details on how many times she was tempted not to go to training or not to follow a strict regiment for the game. We never gain full access to see how she handles the pressure of people hoping that she fail or how she handle romantic relationships as a star women athlete. We never gain the details of how she handled the change in teams and leadership.

In Sky's case, if you are not careful you would assume that she is used to winning. But as you view over her stellar career you will notice that not only has she had some pitfalls but she has been under enough pressure to give up. In the 2011 women's basketball tournament the Fighting Irish lost to the Texas A&M Aggies by a score of 76-70. Sky fought hard during the game. When the game was finished she had 23 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists 4 steals and she had 8 of the 9 free-throws in the game, including two with 40.7 seconds remaining. Have you ever fought hard for something and still lost? Have you ever felt like you were just turning things over and failing? An Associated Press reported, "Skylar Diggins, fighting back tears, said the Irish couldn't handle A&M's pressure. 'We turned it over too much. I don't know if it was nerves or what,' she said. 'We just didn't handle the pressure.'" Have you ever felt like there was so much pressure that the thing you had passion for died and your get up and go...got up and left?

In a pre-WNBA interview with Kate Sullivan, Sky stated that her team (Fighting Irish of Notre Dame) was practicing and they weren't having such a good practice. During that practice the president of Notre Dame, Father Johns Jenkins, happen to be walking through. When he walked through Sky recalled thinking to herself- "Father what are you doing". Later Sky said that the Father reached out to her and stated how proud he was of her. She didn't think that it mattered. The father continued and told her that he was proud of the woman that she was developing into. You might can't see or feel it, but your are developing. You need to know that the Father is reaching out his hand to you today.

As this article concludes there are some points that you must remember. Remember that the sky isn't the limit. The sky is only the beginning of no boundaries. The sky is the beginning of "What Box?...There is No Box." Remember that you were created to change the game regardless of it making sense to you. Remember that the practice may not go how you want it to go but practice makes perfect. Remember that you have a Father who is proud of whom you are developing into. As a reference, your Father has made it clear in Isaiah 55, that even if you don't understand it HIS thoughts are not your thoughts and his ways are not your ways (8). The Father makes it clear that You will Win! In Isaiah 55:11, he says, "so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

You will find out that what you thought was a lose was actually a win. How do you win? By being independent from what you can't do and dependent on knowing that You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you (Phillipians 4:13). Trust that He has your best interest at heart. Your Father is sending the word to you today "WIN!"

References
http://www.und.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/diggins_skylar00.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=310950245
http://dailydomer.nd.edu/news/36840-the-skylar-diggins-interview/

EVEidenz, copyright Pen You In 

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print