Ask a Stupid Question
by Alan Allegra

As a teacher, I encouraged all students to ask questions. I would guarantee answers, even if I had to make them up. I also informed them that the adage, "There is no such thing as a stupid question," was untrue in my experience. My major concern was to not give stupid answers.

Readers of Mad Magazine will remember Al Jaffee's "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions," featuring scenarios like the lady who walks into a store whose walls and showcases are filled with clocks. She asks the owner, "Do you carry clocks?" to which he replies, "I used to, but they got too heavy, so now I wear watches." Stupid-question-wise, this is on a par with, "Where did Lincoln deliver the Gettysburg Address?"

A trendy bumper sticker read, "Jesus is the Answer!" This was predictably followed by, "If Jesus is the Answer, What's the Question?"

September 28 is "Ask a Stupid Question Day." It was initiated by teachers hoping to encourage students to ask questions they feared were too stupid to ask.

The Bible is full of questions and answers. Some questions seemed stupid at the time. After Nebuchadnezzar learned the God of heaven had given him the kingdom of Babylon, he surveyed his territory and asked, "Is not this great Babylon, which I have built by my mighty power as a royal residence and for the glory of my majesty?" (Daniel 4:30). Ooops, stupid question!

Jesus performed unparalleled signs and wonders to prove he is the Messiah. Nonetheless, unbelievers challenged him: "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly" (John 10:24). Duh.

The three most important questions humankind has asked are, "Where did I come from? Why am I here? Where am I going?" Those are not stupid questions, and the Bible has the answers. There is no need to make up answers about evolution or reincarnation or other manmade theories.

Where did we come from? "God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them" (Genesis 1:27). "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them" (Psalm 139:13, 16). Isn't it comforting to know we are not here by accident?

Why are we here? "Everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made" (Isaiah 43:7). "And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us" (Acts 17:26 - 27). You are where you are when you are in order to seek and find God. All else flows from that: "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you" (Matthew 6:33).

Where are we going? Frankly, to the grave and judgment: "And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment" (Hebrews 9:27). There are two destinations: "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life" (Matthew 25:46). The choice is ours: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16).

The only really stupid question is the one Pilate asked: "Then what shall I do with Jesus who is called Christ?" (Matthew 27:22). The obvious answer is, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved" (Acts 16:31).

Alan is editor of Lifestyles Over 50 (Thrive Media) and contributor to the Allentown, PA, Morning Call. He is also an adult Sunday school teacher and Bible study leader. Passionate about reviving theology and church methodology, and being a senior citizen!

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print