The Impact Of Direction
by Angela Posey-Arnold

The Impact of Direction
By Angela Posey-Arnold

You are my hiding place from every storm of life; you even keep me from getting into trouble!............I will instruct you (says the Lord) and guide you along the best pathway for your life. Psalms 32:7-8 The Living Bible

"Happy Birthday Elizabeth."

As she rushed to her car from a long day of classes the rain let up. Her friends from school followed to her car and the rain stopped just long enough for her to open the gift they had for her. Ellie's 21st birthday and all was well with her world, except the rain. As she pulled out of the parking lot of the Wesleyan Foundation she listened to the voice mail on her cell phone.

"Happy Birthday Ellie, hurry home, Mom." Ellie said a quick prayer as she pulled onto the interstate, "Lord, safely home please."

Traffic was moving along at a snail's pace today as the rain increased. Her wipers were trying hard to keep up with the steady down pour. It was Friday and everyone seemed to be trying to go somewhere. Aware that her exit from the busy interstate was just ahead she slowed and turned off just like every other day.

Usually she took the express way that went up and over the mountain. But today she thought twice about going in that direction. Logic told her that it would be faster to go up and over the mountain, she had new tires, good tread, and her new car was well equipped with antilock brakes and an advanced tracking system. As she had second thoughts on how she would proceed, logic said "take the express way". But there was something else. A pull, a tug, a nudge, a still small voice that said, "Ellie, take the valley road."

As she approached the intersection she knew she had to make a decision. Usually, she just automatically took the express way through the mountain. It wasn't something that she usually had to think about. But today was different. She had to make a decision quickly.

The nudge was stronger than the logic. Ellie swiftly took the valley road. The rain was so intense that she had to drive slow and cautious on the 14 mile valley road to home. As she drove she prayed "Lord, help me safely home. It is my birthday and I want to get home. I know they are having a party for me. I don't know why I came this way. I knew I would run into more traffic and the road is long and winding. The pavement is rough and it takes so long. It doesn't really help that the speed limit is 45 either. Help me Lord, get safely home."

5 more miles and she would be home. Her cell phone rang and it was her Mom. "Elizabeth, where are you?" She told her Mom that she was on the valley road and that she should be home in about 10 minutes. The rain continued to pour and the wind was howling. It became difficult to hold the car in the road. Finally she turned into her driveway. Safe and sound. "Thank you Lord, I love you." All was well in her world.

Before she could put down her books and shake the rain from her coat and hat, a news alert came on TV. The mountain road had been closed. People were being warned not to take the mountain road. A massive mudslide had occurred and several cars had been caught in the slide. Rescue workers were on their way. All roads across the mountain were closed due to the disaster. Ellie. sat down and instantly knew. The still small voice, the nudge, the tug---it was the Lord. He had kept His promise. She remembered the Scripture she had read a few days before. Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths.

It wasn't just a strange occurrence that Ellie had felt the illogical urge to take the valley road. The nudge that she felt was not one that only comes once in a life time. It wasn't a sporadic miracle that may never happen again in her life. It was the Lord directing her path and it is something that He does all the time. It is up to us as to whether we listen.

Well, I suppose it was a sort of miracle that Ellie made it home safely that stormy day but more than that, it was the fulfillment of a promise from the Lord. Walking by faith and not by sight, Ellie did not think too long on which road to take. Being tuned into the Lord and His leading she did not question His nudging. Ellie has a relationship with Him. She knew His voice and she did not question. She did not logically try to rationalize her thinking and direct her own path. If she had depended on logic or science or her own understanding she would not have made it to her 21st birthday party. She depended totally on Him without question or argument.

Ellie's relationship with the Lord is a perfect example of walking by faith and not by sight. It is not something that she had to think about for a long time, she just did what He led her to do. She didn't question His nudge. She recognized it and followed it.

What if we were always close enough to Him to feel His leading in every decision? Wouldn't life be so much easier? What a wonderful gift He wants us to have and all we have to do is follow.

Too often we try to "out smart" the Lord. We lean on our own understanding. Some try to 'explain Him' logically and scientifically. Logic and science change all the time, everyday science changes. But the Lord, He never changes. His Word never changes.

Maybe it is time for us to lean on the Lord and His leading and not our own understanding. Be close enough to Him to feel His nudge, His tug and hear His still small voice in our hearts.

For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace I Corinthians 14:33

And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, this is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left. Isaiah 30:21

"Happy Birthday Ellie." Love from Jesus.
"Thank You Jesus, Thank You." Love from Ellie




Angela Posey-Arnold is 47 years old. She is a writer, published author and the resident pianist at her church. She lives in beautiful north Alabama in a log cabin on the edge of the Bankhead National Forest. Peaceful surroundings are conducive to writing and music to which she devotes her life.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print