Prosperity Teaching, Is it Truth?
by Rick King

August 22, 2013
By: Rick L. King

I recently read an article that addressed the prosperity teaching by some well known TV preachers. I had to agree with most of what this person said. I am not writing this to slam any ministry but to attempt to look at this from a scriptural basis. I am using many scriptures as they are the basis for truth that we all must look at.

First of all we know that we all are a human being. If we have met Jesus we also know that we have a spirit man. Scripture says:

1Theselonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

So according to scripture we each are a three-fold being. We have a body, soul and spirit. Here lies the issue. What are we allowing to dominate us? Does our body run things? Does our soul (or mind) run things? Or do we allow our spirit to run things? This is what God desires:

Romans 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

The word flesh here means our soul or natural mind.

2Corinthians 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Paul says that it is the spirit that gives to us life.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

According to these few scriptures we must conclude that life comes from our spirit not from our flesh. We then have a choice to either feed our spirit man or feed our fleshly carnal nature. Much of the teaching these days unfortunately feeds the carnal man. It seems to make life about us instead of about the Lord and His will and plan.

Colossians 2:23 Which things have indeed a show of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honor to the satisfying of the flesh.

Colossians 3:
1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

We can pursue to satisfy our flesh or our spirit. We all have heard that we are what we eat. This is true spiritually. If we eat carnal food we stay carnal. If we eat spiritual food we become spiritual. It is all just a choice. We can choose to set our affections on the things of this earth or the things of Heaven. If we chose the former then this is what can occur.

Mark 4:19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.

Mathew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Luke 12:15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

Mathew 6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

I have come to this conclusion as a result of what scripture states. It is not wrong to have riches (as pertaining to wealth in this world), but what do we do with it? Do we use it to satisfy our flesh or our spirit? Jesus came to do what? He came to do His Father's will not his. Was He our example? Did he take in money to build himself mansions or have the greatest things that the world offered at that time? No, He came to please His Father not himself. He served God not mammon. His focus was on people and doing God's will. If we have lots of money then it was given to us to be a blessing to others not to heap up treasures for self. The greatest joy is to have to give to others. There is much more joy when you give than when you get. Remember what the devil told Jesus:

Mathew 4:
8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

It seems to me that the devil is still tempting mankind with the things of this world. Why is this? If man can focus on the things of this world for his happiness then he obviously is not having a focus on the things of Heaven. Life is not owning or having "things and money". Life only comes from the spirit. Have you ever been in the presence of the Lord? If so, did you want or need anything else? Were you not content and nothing else was important? Unfortunately many have not experienced this. They do not know what it is like to be in God's presence. Scripture says that we find life when we lose it. When we truly are in the spirit we will not have concern for the things of this world. Our only concern is following Jesus.

In conclusion, for the people to constantly preach money they are feeding their flesh and unfortunately sending the message to many that having wealth and riches produces life. This is still the lie of the devil. This is serving God and mammon. I am sorry but scripture says that we cannot do both. I could not tolerate myself if I had a million dollar home and all the trinkets at the cost of others doing without that gave because I lured them into thinking that if you give to me that God will bless you. Oh what a sad gospel that is being preached. I man from Canada once commented on an article that I wrote. I sadly loved what he said. He said that there is the gospel, and there is the North American gospel. That says it all.

Mark 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Do we settle for less? Do we desire God and His power more than feeding our flesh? I suppose that each person has to make that determination. Just know that if you can give up the lust of things and money and draw near to God, you will find more peace and satisfaction that you have ever dreamed was possible.

Mark 4:19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.

Living for the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches is a lie and deception from the devil, period.

Real prosperity is in our spirit not feeding all of our fleshly carnal desires. They get away with this teaching because most of us lives to satisfy our flesh. It is about what we can get for self. I think this is what the Bible calls "itching ears". We listen to what we want to hear not to what is true and Biblical.

After reading my article, you make your own conclusions. At least I hope this has given you some things new to consider when making these conclusions.


Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print