Our Mediator
by Rev. Brian Mathis

The READ initiative from the Church of God is currently moving through the book of Job and as I was catching up on some of the days I had missed I was struck by these passages that are found in Job 9:32-35,

32God is not a mortal man like me, so I cannot argue with Him or take him to trial. 33 If only there were a mediator between us, someone who could bring us together. 34 The mediator could make God stop beating me, and I would no longer live in terror of His punishment. 35 Then I could speak to him without fear, but I cannot do that in my own strength.

I was struck by the description of the role of the mediator that Job desires to come. The concept of a mediator is someone who is looking to bring a solution to two parties that is acceptable to both. Job desires to have the attacks upon his person and family end, even if it means God kills him. However, it would be acceptable to him that God just stop the attacks. We know more of the story than Job does at this stage; we know that in heaven the devil has been given permission to test Job and God has allowed it to happen with specific limitations imposed.

Today does it seem like you are under an attack or that God has his sights set on your destruction? Do you feel like you have been singled out to receive His wrath? Trust me this feeling occurs to all people from time to time. It comes from two things first we don't know and understand God's real nature and secondly we don't know how God really feels about us as His creation. As parents often we have to allow things to come into the lives of our children that we would rather they not endure. However, we must allow it to help them learn how to deal with life. It's not always pleasant for the parent or the child sometimes it is even downright hard to stand back and watch. It goes against the nature of a loving parent not to try and help their child when they are in trouble.

The same thing can be said about our relationship with God. While he is unable to come to us directly because He is holy and can have not part in the sinful nature of mankind, He has provided us a mediator in His Son Jesus. Through Jesus we are able to come into His presence and make our pleas to God directly. Paul tells Timothy this and we read it in 1 Timothy 2:5;

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus." (KJV)

It is through this mediation that we are reunited to our creator. While many will tell you there is no cost to accepting Christ I won't lie to you about it. There is a great cost when you accept Christ as your mediator you must learn to surrender your self-will to His will. Just as when you enter into a courtroom with a lawyer Jesus is there to bring a defense for each of us. However, if we jump up and start shouting at the judge demanding he hear us out. We would be found in contempt the same thing applies when we go before God. It is not by our will that God allows us into His presence it is through the willful obedience of the sacrifice of His Son that we have been given another chance to have fellowship with God.

Today do you know Jesus as your savior if so you also have a mediator who stands between you and God making intercession for you daily? If not; today you can change that by asking Jesus into your heart and surrendering your will to His. I pray you make a decision that will change your life. So as Job declares, "you would be able to speak to God without fear;" knowing the love he has for you. Have a blessed day.


Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print