Worst of Sinners
by Steven Dexheimer

(Paul enters and stands center stage)

Paul: (In prayer) I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service.

(Satan enters)

Satan: (Slinking up to Paul) Ahhh, the infallible Paul of Tarsus, missionary to those godless, pagan Gentiles. (Paul glances up, then returns to a prayerful posture) Oh, my apologies for interrupting yourprayer.

Paul: Apology not accepted

Satan: My, aren't we testy? (Pauses, and looks Paul over) SoGod considers you faithful, does He? Well, that's good of Him, considering

Paul: (Cautiously) Considering what?

Satan: Why, considering your track record, of course. He may be willing to forget your past, but can you?

Paul: (Sighs) It is true that I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man.

Satan: You are being too modest. You were an absolute monster. (Grinning) After all, you belonged to me.

Paul: But I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.

Satan: (Mocking) Isn't it wonderful how your Master just loves the ignorant? I suppose that's why He made so many of them (Looks out into audience and grins evilly) Speaking of ignorant people, it has seemed to have slipped my mind, just how many of your "brothers and sisters in Christ" did you end up dragging off to prison?

Paul: (Trying to ignore Satan) The grace of our Lord was poured out to me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

Satan: And I'm sure it was much the same way for that poor young man who was stoned to death by your overzealous friends in the Sanhedrin. Remember him?

Paul: I'll never forget himhis face. It was likethe face of an angel. And what he said at the end: "Lord, do not hold this sin against them" (Closes his eyes and sighs)

Satan: (Clearly enjoying the pain he is inflicting) Yesand what was that poor boy's name?

Paul: (Quietly) Stephen

Satan: (Claps his hands gleefully) That's rightStephen! And there you were right in the middle of the whole affair, giving approval to his death!

Paul: I was a different person then. But the old in me has passed away

Satan: (Sneering) Who are you trying to fool, Saul? You can change your name, your lifestyle, and your misguided mission, but you are still the same wretched sinner that you always were.

Paul: I am a sinner. In fact, I'm the worst of sinners.

Satan: Aha! You see? You can't deny it. So what right have you to go around condemning the Gentile world and preaching against theirsins?

Paul: What you fail to understand is that Christ came into the world to save sinners-even sinners as bad as myself.

Satan: What is your point?

Paul: It was for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. In short, if He can show mercy to me, He can show mercy to anyone!

Satan: (Mimicking Paul) "Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience" You think you're sooo great because you cower behind Christ's grace? It's me you need to seek mercy from! Who is Christ, anyway? So he lived a perfect life and died for you miscreant human beings. So what? What has he got that I haven't got?

Paul: (Looks directly at Satan) The victory. Shall I remind youabout your future?

Satan: (Backing off, sputtering) Why youyoumangy human beast! This isn't overSaul! You think you're so clever. Just rememberas long as you're in this world, you'll always be on my turf! We will meet again. (Slinks away)

Paul: (Turns to audience, raising his hand, and looks up) Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Involved in Christian theater for almost 20 years, Steven Dexheimer has been blessed with opportunities to write a number of skits and sketches which have been performed at various churches.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print